Montana - Migratory Bird Restricted area

GearJunky

Guys,

Please note - I am a newbie to waterfowl hunting, I will have other mentors along, but I want to make sure I have a good grasp on the regs.

I have the opportunity to hunt some private ground this year that lies along the Yellowstone river. In reading the regs, I see the language below...

Region 7: Treasure & Rosebud counties: Beginning at the junction of the Bighorn and Yellowstone rivers, then east down the Yellowstone River to the Rosebud-Custer County line, east of Hathaway, Montana (as posted). This closure shall be within the confines of the normal stream flow and shall include all islands, backwaters and sandbars.

This area is irrigated farmland, so there are several side channels, ditches, small irrigation ditches etc. across the property. What is and isn't off-limits? What is a good rule of thumb? ONX shows the restricted area as essentially the main Yellowstone river channel, is that accurate?

Thanks for any feedback.

Guys,

Please note - I am a newbie to waterfowl hunting, I will have other mentors along, but I want to make sure I have a good grasp on the regs.

I have the opportunity to hunt some private ground this year that lies along the Yellowstone river. In reading the regs, I see the language below...

Region 7: Treasure & Rosebud counties: Beginning at the junction of the Bighorn and Yellowstone rivers, then east down the Yellowstone River to the Rosebud-Custer County line, east of Hathaway, Montana (as posted). This closure shall be within the confines of the normal stream flow and shall include all islands, backwaters and sandbars.

This area is irrigated farmland, so there are several side channels, ditches, small irrigation ditches etc. across the property. What is and isn't off-limits? What is a good rule of thumb? ONX shows the restricted area as essentially the main Yellowstone river channel, is that accurate?

Thanks for any feedback.
When I lived over there I always understood it as the main river channel. I never hunted any it but that’s what I was told. As mentioned above, it’s probably best to call the region office

Ditches and creeks are ok, not side channels. Wardens have told me not to hunt the creek mouths right where it dumps into the river....basically if your hunting close enough your retrieving birds from the rivers high water mark then your asking for trouble

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back