Montana license question

Kolbeck

I thought I read somewhere that you can turn your elk license/permit back in for an 80% refund if you choose not to use the tag. For example, if I draw a more preferable tag after successfully drawing a Montana permit. The pic is the only information that I could find in the regs. Anybody more familiar with this? Thanks. C9790C78-295A-431C-9F1C-876E1A18A724.jpg

You have to choose if you want your general tag or an 80% refund if you do not draw the limited quota permit you apply for when you submit your application. After that, it has to be one of those 3 listed in order to turn it in for any refund.

There is no turning the tag in a month before season for a 80% refund because you drew a better one elsewhere thing in Montana.

I'm sooo glad Montana does it this way... nothing drove me crazier than the guys in CO who would draw a 20 pt tag scout all summer, and then if they didn't find that one bull or buck they wanted turn the tag in and just get it again the next year because they had max points.

Guys, I may be missing something but I do think that Montana allows you to turn in your NR Combo for any reason prior to Aug 1 for an 80% refund. Are there different rules for the general combo licenses versus permits? Let me know. Please see the below.

See section 1(e).
http://www.mtrules.org/gateway/ruleno.asp?RN=12.3.402

Also, see this article from gohunt.com (I think this article is available to the public)
https://www.gohunt.com/read/INSIDER/what-to-do-if-you-draw-too-many-hunting-tags-in-one-year

I'm currently on hold with MT FWP right now so I can confirm shortly.

EDIT: I just confirmed with MT FWP that you can turn in your elk or deer combo license for any reason prior to Aug 1 and get a 80% refund. Like a doofus I forgot to ask about if there was a difference set of rules for permits.

Last edited:
I don't think Montana re-issues permits so I would think you would be unable to turn a permit in... also they are so cheap in comparison to the license why would you?

You have to choose if you want your general tag or an 80% refund if you do not draw the limited quota permit you apply for when you submit your application. After that, it has to be one of those 3 listed in order to turn it in for any refund.

There is no turning the tag in a month before season for a 80% refund because you drew a better one elsewhere thing in Montana.

Wrong . Yes there is x I believe up until aug 1 you can turn in for any reason and get 80%

Guy in our group had to send his back in July couple years ago due to some bs reason but got 80% back

The more important question is if you turn in your permit do they restore your pts.

I misread permit part . I know u can for general NR combo . For a special permit I doubt it

Appreciate all the information. I’m not too worried about the $9 permit, I shouldn’t have even included it in my question.
I’m trying to get my buddy to apply with me for Montana, but with 24 points for SD, he thinks this might be the year he draws. Odds still against him. Thanks again.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back