Montana Goat 316 Cooke City

Sirzonkalot

I was one of the lucky few to draw a Montana Goat tag for unit 316 just North of Cooke City. Being a nonresident I have only driven in the area around Yellowstone Park. I am planning on hunting the opener with my two oldest sons before they are back in school.
After some research I plan on starting up around Daisy Pass area and hiking from there. We have done a lot of backpack hunting over the years and have the gear to stay a few days in the back country. Any experiences, tips, or useful information of the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

These pics were taken on our climb to the top of granite peak last year. This was at our camp on the larget of the skytop lakes.

Attachments

• IMAG0545.jpg
    IMAG0545.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 949
  • IMAG0536.jpg
    IMAG0536.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 917
Yeah, we were up on Froze-To-Death a few years back,the goats were mooching off all the peak baggers.It was a silly scene,way too busy for me.They line of people trying to get up Granite at the bridge was a bummer.Even more of a bummer was climbing to within 120 ft. of the summit and halting,the final approach we decided was fine going up,but i wasn't psyched to come down without ropes.:( Easy pickings on some dandy billies though.

We made the summit via the sw coilour. Long approach, but worth the extra miles. The goats appreciate it when you piss on the rocks. They love the salt. Who would have thought that taking a leak could score a nice billy like this. I wish I had a tag and a bow with in that trip

I had some goats in camp a couple weeks ago up there. Four in the morning I heard some noise outside the tent and first thought bear. Looked at GuNR and he was comfy in a ball. When I finally got my bearings, I figured it was goat. Stuck my headlamp out of the tent and had two ghosts with eyeshine 10 yards away. Cool country. Good luck on your hunt.

I saw this nanny in that area last year about 200 yards from camp. Few others with her, but no grown up fellas.

I had some goats in camp a couple weeks ago up there. Four in the morning I heard some noise outside the tent and first thought bear. Looked at GuNR and he was comfy in a ball. When I finally got my bearings, I figured it was goat. Stuck my headlamp out of the tent and had two ghosts with eyeshine 10 yards away. Cool country. Good luck on your hunt.

LOL, same thing happened to me in the Beartooths, except my dog was growling which upped the fear factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back