Sitka Pre Season Savings

Montana General Season Structure Proposal

Region 6 and 7 are probably the regions that are most in need of nr caps. The problem would be that you would displace nr hunters to other regions by doing that. One solution to this problem I have thought about is making the nr caps only applicable in a region to accessible lands similar to the md doe tags. Private lands don’t need caps since they are already managed by the owner or his outfitter. Downside this might drive demand for leasing by hunting clubs but that is already an issue. Interested to hear people’s thoughts on this idea.

I was mostly interested in whether or not it was talked about when you all met.
Another thought I have with it as people keep mentioning regional caps is that is a pretty much a very le if done properly. Most people seem to think that would be great because they would still get the November hunt but don’t think about what happens when they don’t draw. It also doesn’t move deer season for mule deer out of the rut. If fwp is interested in going down that road in the future they sure could quite easily with this structure. We tried to keep a season where everyone can still have the “opportunity “ to have a hunting season

The nature of western hunting in roaded areas seems unconducive to a "no show" policy. Someone could easily intend to hunt a property and book it but then adjust accordingly to what they see when they show up to area in person. If you're pronghorn hunting and can glass most of a BMA property from the road or adjacent BLM land, see nothing worthwhile and move on, were you a "no show" in violation of the rules? Or perhaps you sign up for multiple type II BMAs with the plan to check them all out in a single day but end up killing something at the first property or on public between properties and lack the cell service to cancel your other reservations before the end of the day. It seems like the only way a no show policy could work would be if you only signed up immediately before stepping foot on a property, but that would also rely on good cell service.

Perhaps one solution would be only allow one active reservation at a time.
Should only be able do one at a time anyways

Another thought I have with it as people keep mentioning regional caps is that is a pretty much a very le if done properly. Most people seem to think that would be great because they would still get the November hunt but don’t think about what happens when they don’t draw. It also doesn’t move deer season for mule deer out of the rut.
Was there discussion of having liberal regional caps (but less the the current free for all) as well as removing the rut for mule deer? Maybe there is rational for only one or the other?

Plenty
Was there discussion of having liberal regional caps (but less the the current free for all) as well as removing the rut for mule deer? Maybe there is rational for only one or the other?
Plenty of discussion on it but like mentioned it would all just be a wild ass guess. Even going with caps I really just don’t think it has the positive effect because it still keeps center fires in November

Plenty of discussion on it but like mentioned it would all just be a wild ass guess. Even going with caps I really just don’t think it has the positive effect because it still keeps center fires in November
Gotcha - thanks. This is what I was curious about.

Without having any idea of where hunters are currently spending their time, is there any confidence that region caps would be set at low enough levels to benefit the resource or to have any meaningful impact on hunter crowding? I agree that caps are likely going to be needed in R6 and R7 in particular. In the meantime, I think the choose your deer species would help reduce resident pressure in those regions. NR pressure can be addressed when we have some data to back it up.

It was mentioned, and will be looked into at the next meeting in June. I’m hoping no does on public, a mostly October season coupled with species/region pick will be enough, if not we look at caps for NR&R.

I wish it would go for the ‘25 season also, but we’re moving at the speed of govt, so 2027 is when it’ll be implemented.

Is region pick and species pick gonna change anything? People who wana are still gonna do it, especially NR

Is region pick and species pick gonna change anything? People who wana are still gonna do it, especially NR
Yes because it will help with targets of opportunity. The species thing I think will be the biggest help

How? People who want to hunt mule deer choose mule deer and region 6 or 7.
I’m sure well over 90% of the mule deer taken in Gallatin county are taken by people hunting elk in November with a deer tag in their pocket.

So, double whammy solution. Make those people 1) pick R7 on wherever else. And 2) not have rifle season for mule deer in Nov.

Not rocket science.

Too bad people are so resistant to give ANY thing up.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY intentionally hunts the gallatin canyon for deer. There are hardly any. But when it snows in Nov - some come down to get killed by elk hunters during the rut.

When I finished school at MSU and started hunting around here 2 deer were killed south of town the same season ‘92 that gross scored over 280. Everybody talked about the Bridgers.. but by then the deer hunting here was already swirling down the toilet bowl. If it hasn’t happened where you hunt already - it’s coming your way soon.

Last edited:
I’m sure well over 90% of the mule deer taken in Gallatin county are taken by people hunting elk in November with a deer tag in their pocket.

So, double whammy solution. Make those people 1) pick R7 on wherever else. And 2) not have rifle season for mule deer in Nov.

Not rocket science.

Too bad people are so resistant to give ANY thing up.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY intentionally hunts the gallatin canyon for deer. There are hardly any. But when it snows in Nov - some come down to get killed by elk hunters during the rut.

When I finished school at MSU and started hunting around here 2 deer were killed south of town the same season ‘92 that gross scored over 280. Everybody talked about the Bridgers.. but by then the deer hunting here was already swirling down the toilet bowl. If it hasn’t happened where you hunt already - it’s coming your way soon.
I’m not rocket scientist but I’m pretty sure anyone could chose region 7 hunt mule deer just as many days currently and have all of November to hunt elk closer to home.

Just because I bring up questions doesn’t mean I am opposed to it. It’s not rocket science, it’s conversation

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallardman1911
Back