Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Montana Fishermen

CabinFever

Hey Ya'll, wife is headed out of town and I'm looking strap on a pack and hit some high country lakes this weekend. Anyone have suggestions on lakes or areas to hit a few lakes in SW MT? Right now I'm thinking strongly about the Crazies or Spanish Peaks. Both would be a great trip and from what I've found online both look like they hold pretty decent fishing.

Anyother sweet places you'd recommend checking out?

Also I plan to take both a spinning rod and fly rod, though I have very minimal fly fishing experience. I'm sure I'll take a few Mepps, Panther Martins, Rapalas and such for the spinner, but any advice on flies would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Not in the mtn ranges you specified, but have you considered the Big Belt Mountains? Not a lot of lakes, but I think their gem is Edith Lake.

I doubt you'll see any other people either...pretty steep and remote.

Last edited:
The Bozeman comical covered Heather and Emerald lakes up Hyalite in a full page article with pics within the past few weeks. Lots of people go up there. But the camping is probably ok after everyone goes home from the day hikes. My wife and I ride our ponies up there a few times each year for the day. Emerald has small grayling; Heather has a few one pound cuts. BWO emergers will usually work ( at any high mtn lake).
I've always wanted to go to Cedar Lake east of Ennis. The Yellowstone Club takes clients there so it must be OK. I’ve heard it has ok numbers of Cuts in it. It's on public land.
I used to guide a horse camp up out (west) of Potamageton Park in the wilderness north of Hebgen Lake (Beaver Creek road). Fishing was good as I recall in the many lakes up there. I would think there would be relatively fewer hikers up there.

I used to guide a horse camp up out (west) of Potamageton Park in the wilderness north of Hebgen Lake (Beaver Creek road). Fishing was good as I recall in the many lakes up there. I would think there would be relatively fewer hikers up there.

Awesome country and great fishing in most of the lakes up there.

That is a very cool area, but I'm sceered of bears when I go solo:eek:

I would certainly go up in the Hyalite area but I am hoping to avoid the more popular areas on this trip.

I'm reading more stuff saying that on many Alpine lakes it doesn't matter much what flies you use. Would you guys be throwing mostly dries or wet? I'm guessing during mid-day dries would be worthless while its this warm.

Some friends of mine hiked into the top of the Crazies to fly fish for some golden's. I don't remember the name of the lake, but they said it was awesome. And it was crazy hard to get to. They did it in one day, but I think it was almost a 24 hour day of hiking, fishing, then hiking again. Seems it would be better to hike in and camp. I can find out what the name of the lake is if you want me to.

in regards to flies to use. and elk hair caddis with a beadhead pheasant tail dropper will do the trick!

Some friends of mine hiked into the top of the Crazies to fly fish for some golden's. I don't remember the name of the lake, but they said it was awesome. And it was crazy hard to get to. They did it in one day, but I think it was almost a 24 hour day of hiking, fishing, then hiking again. Seems it would be better to hike in and camp. I can find out what the name of the lake is if you want me to.

I'd bet that was Cave Lake as I've heard its real tough to get to and it looks like its one of the only ones stocked with Golden

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back