PEAX Equipment

Backpacking fishing rods and tactics question

Another vote for the tenkara rod. As for flies, usually any small bead head nymph, or whatever I already have tied to my leader, haha. I do like a small beaded prince nymph.

Dumb question, if I'm lake fishing, how do I fish a nymph in a lake? Just use an indicator and strip it in?

Dumb question, if I'm lake fishing, how do I fish a nymph in a lake? Just use an indicator and strip it in?
I am by no means an expert fly fisherman, but I just cast it out there and slowly retrieve it. Similar to a streamer i guess, but slower. Seems to work well enough for me.

Lots of good advice in here, so I'll back up a lot of what's been said relative to a spin versus fly rod. I've been a fly fishing only kind of guy for 20 years, but am a proponent of spinning rods for backpacking/high country lakes.

If you're on streams, then flies all the way. I went through a number of eagle claw combo kits and wouldn't hesitate to get another one. Best of both worlds and cheap enough that you don't worry if you break it or lose it, plus you only carry 1 rod versus 2.

Flies: Adams, Hoppers, Stimulators & Caddis for dries, leeches, wooly buggers & whatever streamer catches your eye. Trout aren't terribly picky up high because of the short season.

Spinners: You'll never go wrong w/ a panther martin, blue fox or mepps spinner. Rapalas are great too, but you're likely to lose a lot of lures if you're fishing right. Lots of detritus in the water in high country lakes in the trees.

Baits: I've done well with soft baits like black rubber worms or even power bait worms. Never been one for jigging, so can't help there.

Lots of good advice in here, so I'll back up a lot of what's been said relative to a spin versus fly rod. I've been a fly fishing only kind of guy for 20 years, but am a proponent of spinning rods for backpacking/high country lakes.

If you're on streams, then flies all the way. I went through a number of eagle claw combo kits and wouldn't hesitate to get another one. Best of both worlds and cheap enough that you don't worry if you break it or lose it, plus you only carry 1 rod versus 2.

Flies: Adams, Hoppers, Stimulators & Caddis for dries, leeches, wooly buggers & whatever streamer catches your eye. Trout aren't terribly picky up high because of the short season.

Spinners: You'll never go wrong w/ a panther martin, blue fox or mepps spinner. Rapalas are great too, but you're likely to lose a lot of lures if you're fishing right. Lots of detritus in the water in high country lakes in the trees.

Baits: I've done well with soft baits like black rubber worms or even power bait worms. Never been one for jigging, so can't help there.

I'm trying to look up this eagle claw combo kit... seems like there's a spinning combo, a fly combo, a backpacking combo, I feel like I'm throwing darts and getting everything but the bullseye on this google search.

I'm trying to look up this eagle claw combo kit... seems like there's a spinning combo, a fly combo, a backpacking combo, I feel like I'm throwing darts and getting everything but the bullseye on this google search.

It's the trailmaster spin/fly combo. There are a few companies that make them though, Orvis & LL Bean come to mind.

Edit: Here's one I found. No customer reviews on Cabela's though: https://www.cabelas.com/product/WHI...yJIyARUGjVQ7ZoJoszxoCqdMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
If you go down to your local waterway and ask the anglers what reel they are using, it’s highly likely the majority will be using a Shimano. There is no doubt they make quality reels, and also a wide range suitable for all types of fishing and levels of experience. The purpose of this page is to provide an overview of not on the best of the best Shimano reels, but also the most versatile and most suitable to different types of fishing. Not everyone needs the biggest and most expensive, and for that reason, Shimano reel collection has a spinning real to suit just about everyone.

Last edited:
I would pack a spin combo with some spinners and some flies and clear plastic bubbles. It seems like hardly anyone fishes that way anymore, but the old fly and bubble still produces.

Collapsible 5 foot spinning rod 4 pound test low viz line and 1/8 oz white rooster tails.

Hard to beat that for the back country.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back