Montana Elk Permit Questions

Done Diggin

I am looking at the Montana non-resident elk permit application package, trying to decide which units to apply in, and was wondering how I can obtain the success ratio (kills not drawing a tag) per unit?

I'm planning to use my first two choices for a general season permit and my third for an archery. I'm looking at permit 411-20 for my first choice, it gives you a lot of area and decent odds of drawing. My second choice would be 412-20, and then go with 410-15 for the archery.

It looks like 410-20 takes a long time and a lot of luck to ever draw a tag, and nearly impossible for a NR.

Any input or advise would be greatly appreciated.

First off, MT's drawing process in different than WAs is. If there are more first choice applicants than permits, don't even bother putting it down as a 2nd choice app because you won't get it. MT pools all of the 1st choice apps and draws from that pool. The only way you draw on 2nd choice is if there is leftover from 1st choice and they need to do a 2nd choice drawing.

Have you hunted 411 or 412 before? Access to elk can be somewhat difficult, but is doable. Just wondering if you know what you are getting into. There's a reason why they are easier to draw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have a clue. They were still making phone calls a few weeks ago, so I wouldn't be expecting them before the deadline especially after considering they haven't even gotten around to posting last year's detailed draw odds.

JLS – Thanks for the heads up on how the choices work. I found the success ratio information, and downloaded several of the areas. Just working through the data now, but it is a little tough to understand to say the least. I have not hunted in any of those areas, just with my general tags in 301 & 314 SE of Bozeman. We have been using my Montana Hunting Map program and Google maps to look for public land and access. I don’t know the county, but there is quite a bit of public land with access to it. Looks like 417 might be worth a look? I realize that this is a long shot and should just go for the 410-15 Archery only if I want a chance at a tag.

Don't have a clue. They were still making phone calls a few weeks ago, so I wouldn't be expecting them before the deadline especially after considering they haven't even gotten around to posting last year's detailed draw odds.

Yeah it sure would be a lil helpful if they could post the detailed draw odds.I guess I will wait until the last minute this year to apply and hope to see how the new bonus point system effected the draws in the state if any. Have any of you guys heard of any new info of how the new squared point system actually effected draws last year by chance?:rolleyes:

Squared points should hurt the odds for people with few to no points, doesn't change things much for people in the middle, and helps folks with close to max. points.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back