Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana elk general

Batla2

Hey guys, this is my first post on here and had a question! I drew my first Montana general season tag, and since it’s my first time in Montana I’m going to use my rifle. I’ve done my research and looked at countless maps and got 3 units marked! Just curious if anyone could let me know what they think of hunting with a rifle in units 311, 330, or 319? Thanks!

Hey guys, this is my first post on here and had a question! I drew my first Montana general season tag, and since it’s my first time in Montana I’m going to use my rifle. I’ve done my research and looked at countless maps and got 3 units marked! Just curious if anyone could let me know what they think of hunting with a rifle in units 311, 330, or 319? Thanks!
are you shitting me ? My posts are usually friendly but cmon man

I don't have specific knowledge of those districts but a few tips for hunting SW Montana:

1. Try to get out there and do some scouting before your hunt if you have the means to get there....by scouting I mean learn the road systems, trail systems, camping areas, vantage points for glassing, type of terrain and cover, main drainages, etc.
2. Hunting during the week will eliminate a bunch of people you are competing with for the same resource - hopefully you planned a good long hunt.
3. Talk to the MTFWP wildlife biologist for those area - they are often a good resource for getting general information on elk numbers and distribution in those areas.
4. I personally would pick one district and learn it well rather than bouncing between districts. The district with the most public land might be the best choice.
5. Make sure you are in the best shape of your life and come prepared for snow, rain, cold, hot, sun, and wind. Conditions change daily if not hourly.

I could go on and on. Best of luck with your hunt!

I got upset in the past when I saw members on here crapping on folks for asking questions. I'm really starting to understand how annoying and disingenuous these posts can come off as.

My advice would be to share some things about yourself. Ask about general tactics, not specific units. Get some boots on the ground and scout. Thats how your granddaddy did it. The internet isn't going to bridge that gap for you.

If you strike out general season, I'll send you some info for 311's shoulder season, just reach out.

WOW guys that's a little heavy don't you think?
If you don't like it, why do you add fuel?
That's just nuts.
" I don't know what I don't know"

I personally think you're looking on the wrong side of the divide for elk.
Lots of them there but the wolf have made them much smarter and tons of people.
I would try the Belts or Little belts for a first-time elk hunt.
Still a lot of people but if you get a mile off the road you probably be by your self all day.
Give us another try we are not all boobs.

Forget the naysayers. If you have done enough research to get three units picked out, you are on the right track. The key will be to identify what type of habitat will be holding the bulls that time of year. Randy's videos of what elk need at different times of the year can be very helpful. There aren't many easy elk, so whichever unit you pick, you will probably be facing getting as high as you can in rugged terrain that isn't being overrun by other hunters. It really is mainly about putting boots on the ground and learning as you go. Pick any of the three and go for it.

Welcome. If I was going to hunt 311, I'd go here, piles of elk. Talk to Ted, super nice guy, he'll let you on for a small trespass fee.

That's just nuts.

Still a lot of people but if you get a mile off the road you probably be by your self all day.

I agree with hunting central Montana, the Belts/Crazy Mountains both offer lots of elk in more huntable/glassable terrain. The blow downs in SW Montana has gotten to point of being not passable in lots of areas. There has been some high winds this year which has blocked access. Second, I agree that wolves greatly effect elk movements/numbers.

So this a bull shit reply?
All depends on what you consider a “small” fee. $16K for rifle.

That's just nuts.

Thanks man. Just trying to get some advice. 1000 mile drive would suck to not see anything lol

Thanks man. Just trying to get some advice. 1000 mile drive would suck to not see anything lol
If you do you're homework and e-scout a bunch of different places you will see elk, you just got to get in there and get after it

That's just nuts.

I agree. When I first joined this forum (the only forum I'm on and the only one I'll pry ever be on) I didn't have a clue about needing to introduce myself and all. Give guys a break maybe we all havnt been doing this as much as some of youall. And if you don't want to give tips and info then don't. Not trying to cause a fight just saying... Let's not blow anything more up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back