Montana elk general

If you do you're homework and e-scout a bunch of different places you will see elk, you just got to get in there and get after it

90% of work is finding them as they say and I've found that to be true. Just be prepared to spend 90% of your time locating the elk and you won't be disappointed.

Also, only 1,000 miles huh?

1595529149372.png

90% of work is finding them as they say and I've found that to be true. Just be prepared to spend 90% of your time locating the elk and you won't be disappointed.

Also, only 1,000 miles huh?

View attachment 147755
Yes sir! We plan on spending like 98% of the time finding some! And damn. It’s a little over a 1000 for us, but seems to be longer for you! Thanks!

I think that the key to rifle season in Montana is to have found the elk before season starts. After opening day the elk are going to be a lot tougher to find. So if you are traveling 1000 miles you need to come with a plan on where you are going to be scouting for elk, and then spend a few days trying to find them before season.

I think that the key to rifle season in Montana is to have found the elk before season starts. After opening day the elk are going to be a lot tougher to find. So if you are traveling 1000 miles you need to come with a plan on where you are going to be scouting for elk, and then spend a few days trying to find them before season.
That was our plan! Try to get on one for opening morning!

Hey Batla new to HT also! Don't be discouraged.. the guy's that hunt SW Montana are as hard as the mountains they hike. If you come into this area with out of state plates I suggest bringing a jack and extra tires... trust me in college years ago I had Oregon plates and paid for it every year.
Also, between the gas prices back in the day and there wasn't really any road restrictions them old boys definitely had an advantage and I think its funny they disapprove of the desk scouting.
I agree with Irishman though, to be successful in these units you have to scout before those first crack of rifles because then they become very hard to find. Cheers and Best of luck to you!

Hey Batla new to HT also! Don't be discouraged.. the guy's that hunt SW Montana are as hard as the mountains they hike. If you come into this area with out of state plates I suggest bringing a jack and extra tires... trust me in college years ago I had Oregon plates and paid for it every year.
Also, between the gas prices back in the day and there wasn't really any road restrictions them old boys definitely had an advantage and I think its funny they disapprove of the desk scouting.
I agree with Irishman though, to be successful in these units you have to scout before those first crack of rifles because then they become very hard to find. Cheers and Best of luck to you!
My experience in Montana with my out of state plates has been quite the opposite. Folks have been generally very friendly and on numerous occasions have even thanked us for coming to the state, spending high $ on tags and contributing to the local economy.
Last year, our camp neighbors stopped by before they left to give us some giant T bone steaks, fresh from one of their own cattle. Can’t say that’s ever happened in any other state I’ve hunted.
Maybe we’ve been lucky, but so far I can only say good things about Montanans.

Hey guys, this is my first post on here and had a question! I drew my first Montana general season tag, and since it’s my first time in Montana I’m going to use my rifle. I’ve done my research and looked at countless maps and got 3 units marked! Just curious if anyone could let me know what they think of hunting with a rifle in units 311, 330, or 319? Thanks!
Email me and I’ll let you know a little bit about 319. I hunted there a few weeks ago and got into elk for a few days. I plan to go back rifle hunting in a month or so. I don’t have a super in depth knowledge on this area in particular but I’m willing to help however I can.
[email protected]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back