Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana Elk & Deer General HD's

dzlfarmboy

Hey everyone Im Brett, been on here a while and do a ton of reading. Planning my third western DIY backpack hunt with a good friend and looking to do a Montana general Elk/Deer combo and was just curious if anyone knew of any Hunting Districts where it would be likely to see both in. I know they generally have different grazing areas which tend to separate them. But just looking for some real life experience in different areas. Have been eye balling HD362

Thanks' Ahead, Brett

Unless you know an area well, trying to do both will probably end in failure for both.

I would take two weeks. Hunt the first one for elk in the best elk area you can find. Then drive to a different area for deer.

That's what I was expecting to hear but just figured Id ask some experienced guys that would know first hand if there were any.

Appreciate the input.

I would argue that is less about the area, and more about only having a week to try and kill an elk. I have done the combo thing, and you end up chasing your tail more than anything. If it were me I would find an area I wanted to hunt elk, and if you stumble into a muley, icing on the cake.

@ Minnesotahunter Yeah that's what I was thinking, just didn't know if there were better Districts we might be more likely to run in to muleys while pursuing Elk

As a lifelong resident hunter, I concur. Usually I hunt all season in Montana for elk and take a mule deer occasionally if given the chance while elk hunting. If you get lucky early elk hunting, then you can always adjust plans for deer hunting accordingly.

I've chased deer on the combo hunt for a long time and stumbled into elk several times. This year I'm reversing it and looking for elk first and if I see a nice muley then it's a bonus. 1 week is tough enough to get one animal if you're being selective.

The issue is always that if you only have 1 tag you ALWAYS end up having a chance to take a good animal on the tag you Don't have! :)

HD 362 is ok for both tags. High country is public with several access points that require a fair amount of hiking up in elevation. Everything down low is private with very little BM.

Yeah We're gonna be pursuing Elk and just hope for that Bonus muley opportunity. How's the Grizzly populations around HD 362 ?

Unit 362 would be a good unit to observe grizzly bears interacting in their natural habitat

Last edited:
I own a cabin just south of there near Raynold's Pass in Unit 361. In the last 5 years I have seen griz over a dozen times. Pack your bear spray and if you find a 50$ bill in a parking lot between now and then, buy a wolf tag.

Last edited:
Hey fellas! As we're closing in on the season coming up. Was curious for guys that have hiked around in 362 some what kind of water resources we can expect to have. I'm sure it varies on weather but a heads up if it's usually very dry or tends to have water available typically.

Thanks Brett.

Is that Bear spray good stuff to have on your hip?

Always keep it close at hand. Hip belts are perfect. And know how to use it. They typically give no f*^%s about people, but when they do, it's the least amount of fun you can have.

And if you have a handgun that you know how to use, bring that too. (My bowhunting pals usually carry something like a 10mm) But the spray is always your first resort.

Yeah planning on having the 8.1oz counter assault bear spray on one side of my pack and my glock on my other hip side.

Hows the weather been out there for you Montana folks. The season's a week out, looking forward to getting out there.

Brett

Back