Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana Elk Data?

R.K.

Been poking around the FWP website looking for info, but I can't seem to find the bull:cow and cow:calf ratios for Montana's elk herds/units. Does anybody know where I can find this, short of contacting the biologist?

All I could find were maps of population objectives and the units that were over/under objective and by how much. I couldn't find anything regarding bull:cow or calf:cow ratios. GoHunt doesn't even have the bull:cow ratios like they do for some states.

Been poking around the FWP website looking for info, but I can't seem to find the bull:cow and cow:calf ratios for Montana's elk herds/units. Does anybody know where I can find this, short of contacting the biologist?
You’d probably have to contact the area biologists. I don’t think they compile a list but I know I get emails of count that includes a sex ratio after every spring counting.

You can email regional bios and request to get on their mailing list. If you know specific datasets you have to request it, and if the data you are requesting is particularly juicy, as in it has GPS information about animal locations, you have to sign some documents.

They don't make it easy to get certain data, and I get the sense they certainly don't advertise data they aren't proud of, like the elk objective status maps.

But those are still somehow over objective...murder them all
If you can imagine this, and when I think of it in context to Montana its hard to even believe...but we have a certain user group here that is complaining about bull to cow ratio's being too high in some units (over 50 bulls per 100 cows)...

If you can imagine this, and when I think of it in context to Montana its hard to even believe...but we have a certain user group here that is complaining about bull to cow ratio's being too high in some units (over 50 bulls per 100 cows)...
Remember the time they flew in 202 and counted 8 f’n elk 😂 good times....

I’m on the email list for several of the bios in SW Montana as well.
Just an FYI for anyone else blasting off emails to biologists: Every bio in Region 2 responded saying that a few bios do these in Region 3, but they're not widespread throughout the state (and no one in Region 2 does one).

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back