Montana drawing question

Antler Dad

Considering making a trip to Montana this fall for cow elk and Muley does with my son. Montana Regis are a bit confusing. Can we apply for elk B tags and deer B tags on their own without having to have a general license first? I have read thru the regs the best I can and it doesn’t say a general season elk or deer or combo license is required to obtain the “B” tags. For those of you wondering, we are truly meat hunters and are more interested in the trip than antlers.

Yes you can. Both elk B and deer B are seperate drawings and typically have an application deadline of June 1st. A general tag in not required.

They are still going to hit you for the conservation, state land access fee, and also the aquatic nuance fee. Which is all included when also when you get your general license.

Does this mean that a non-resident could come hunt anterless deer in MT for +/- $100 if they draw the B tag? That's awfully intriguing, especially if one was hunting a neighboring state for elk only or something . . .

Does this mean that a non-resident could come hunt anterless deer in MT for +/- $100 if they draw the B tag? That's awfully intriguing, especially if one was hunting a neighboring state for elk only or something . . .
Yeah, that's precisely what that means. Tags for kids can be even cheaper. For example, this year I had an elk combo in MT. While I was there, I bought my 10-year-old son an OTC whitetail doe tag. He only paid half-price the original cost of $75. So for only $37.50 I put an extra tag in his pocket, which he ended up filling.

Yeah, that's precisely what that means. Tags for kids can be even cheaper. For example, this year I had an elk combo in MT. While I was there, I bought my 10-year-old son an OTC whitetail doe tag. He only paid half-price the original cost of $75. So for only $37.50 I put an extra tag in his pocket, which he ended up filling.

My brother in law is interested in hunting and has talked about joining us on MT trip this year. This might be a good option for him to get his feet wet with minimal cost. Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back