Montana Draw results

I confirmed with Montana G&F today. 25% of the tags are allocated to people with 0 preference points and 75% are allocated to those who have PP. It is NOT a random pool for everyone. So everyone that has a PP only has a chance at 75% of the total tags available. What a bunch of BS if you ask me!

I confirmed with Montana G&F today. 25% of the tags are allocated to people with 0 preference points and 75% are allocated to those who have PP. It is NOT a random pool for everyone. So everyone that has a PP only has a chance at 75% of the total tags available. What a bunch of BS if you ask me!
I think the intention of this method is giving everyone a chance at drawing, not having all the tags go to the highest point holders. Do you know if this applies to Limited Entry tags or just NR general tags? I hope you can pickup a leftover

I think the intention of this method is giving everyone a chance at drawing, not having all the tags go to the highest point holders. Do you know if this applies to Limited Entry tags or just NR general tags? I hope you can pickup a leftover

The PP are just for general tags and are only good for the year you bought them for. You can buy a PP ($50) in July of this year and than again for another $50 when you apply giving you 2 PP for the 2020 draw.

The PP are meant to move you above someone without a pp. However as mentioned above 25% of tags go to people without a PP. So yes it gives everyone a chance to get a license.

Also the PP are only good for 1 year so whatever you have at the time of the 2020 drawing you will lose after the drawing. from my understanding 2PP is the max you can have.

The PP are just for general tags and are only good for the year you bought them for. You can buy a PP ($50) in July of this year and than again for another $50 when you apply giving you 2 PP for the 2020 draw.

The PP are meant to move you above someone without a pp. However as mentioned above 25% of tags go to people without a PP. So yes it gives everyone a chance to get a license.

????. I've never heard of being able to buy a PP for Montana Elk Hunting in July ?. I know that Wyoming does that, but haven't heard about it for Mt. ?
can anyone confirm or verify that.

Kevin

Preference Point for Nonresident Combination Licenses
The Montana State Legislature established a preference point system to distribute "Class B-10" nonresident big game and elk combination licenses and "Class B-11" nonresident deer combination licenses. In a preference point system, licenses are awarded to those applicants who hold the greatest number of preference points.

Purchasing Preference Points
Preference points for a nonresident big game, elk or deer combination license may be purchased for a nonrefundable fee of $50. Preference points can be purchased:
  • at the time of application for the nonresident combination license; or
  • between July 1 and September 30 for individuals who did not apply for a nonresident combination license.
  • NOTE: You must apply for the nonresident combo the following year, or this point will be deleted.
Applicants may purchase only one preference point per license year. Preference points purchased at the time of application are awarded prior to the drawing.

Preference Point for Nonresident Combination Licenses
The Montana State Legislature established a preference point system to distribute "Class B-10" nonresident big game and elk combination licenses and "Class B-11" nonresident deer combination licenses. In a preference point system, licenses are awarded to those applicants who hold the greatest number of preference points.

Purchasing Preference Points
Preference points for a nonresident big game, elk or deer combination license may be purchased for a nonrefundable fee of $50. Preference points can be purchased:
  • at the time of application for the nonresident combination license; or
  • between July 1 and September 30 for individuals who did not apply for a nonresident combination license.
  • NOTE: You must apply for the nonresident combo the following year, or this point will be deleted.
Applicants may purchase only one preference point per license year. Preference points purchased at the time of application are awarded prior to the drawing.

So if I understand that right ?, if someone bought a PP in March for this years draw, you can't buy another one in July ?. it really only applies to someone that didn't already buy one this year ?.

Kevin

So if I understand that right ?, if someone bought a PP in March for this years draw, you can't buy another one in July ?. it really only applies to someone that didn't already buy one this year ?.

Kevin

That is correct. If you applied in the draw at all, you can not buy a PP in July regardless of whether you bought one with your application or not.

The way they break this down makes for some interesting decisions for people with zero points at draw time. It may get to where 1 PP isn’t as likely to draw a tag as 0 in the random 25% pool. Further, it might get to where 2 points doesn’t have good odds either in the near future. Very odd approach.

Last edited:
I didn’t draw anything for the 4th year in a row now. Gonna try to plan a week long archery hunt with a buddy who lives in Hamilton. I live in Havre so we are gonna try to meet somewhere in the middle, I was thinking the Lincoln area

I didn’t draw anything for the 4th year in a row now. Gonna try to plan a week long archery hunt with a buddy who lives in Hamilton. I live in Havre so we are gonna try to meet somewhere in the middle, I was thinking the Lincoln area
Pretty big burn up there a while back.

That is correct. If you applied in the draw at all, you can not buy a PP in July regardless of whether you bought one with your application or not.

The way they break this down makes for some interesting decisions for people with zero points at draw time. It may get to where 1 PP isn’t as likely to draw a tag as 0 in the random 25% pool. Further, it might get to where 2 points doesn’t have good odds either in the near future. Very odd approach.
It will perhaps . But next year 2 pp will guaranteed tag . 100% draw . Has to be , 24% of 1pp holders got denied so mathematically even if all 24% buy a pp and have 2 it’ll be 100% for them me included . But it may get to point that it isn’t

Had a buddy put in for a NR general big game combo. I just checked to see if he drew and it says under successful 2019 general big game combo (released) but under not successful it says 2019 general-big game combo. Anyone else experience this or know what it means?

Thanks, Justin

Attachments

• 6401EBB2-BBF0-4985-9EE5-845DCEC9AE7D.jpeg
    6401EBB2-BBF0-4985-9EE5-845DCEC9AE7D.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 5
Had a buddy put in for a NR general big game combo. I just checked to see if he drew and it says under successful 2019 general big game combo (released) but under not successful it says 2019 general-big game combo. Anyone else experience this or know what it means?

Thanks, Justin
It’s been cover several times in this thread. Go back and read it and you will find the answer you seek.

Thanks, Justin
He drew a tag . He drew a tag in the second draw that somebody who drew , but didn’t get a permit , returned . Bottom line - he drew .

It will perhaps . But next year 2 pp will guaranteed tag . 100% draw . Has to be , 24% of 1pp holders got denied so mathematically even if all 24% buy a pp and have 2 it’ll be 100% for them me included . But it may get to point that it isn’t

Where did you find draw statistics from this year?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back