Montana District question

Melman

I'm planning my first Elk hunt for 2018 in Montana. was looking at Colorado now am leaning toward Montana so I just started researching this state. While on the "hunt planner" I was looking at info on each district. example, district 317 says its a brow-tined bull or antlerless elk district only. I'm assuming you cannot shoot an antlered bull there in any season since it is not listed. But in the Harvest report for 2016 they show 101 bulls were killed in total. do these districts change from year to year so you never know what tags will be available to purchase for next year. Its seems like a lot of districts do not allow hunting of antlered bull elk.

A "brow tined bull" is an anterled bull. Basically meaning you cannot shoot a spike.

Page 18 of the 2017 Regs has definitions of Antlered Bull vs Brow Tined Bull. If its Brow Tined Only during General Season it just means you can not shot a spike or any bull that doesn't have Brow Tine.

A brow tined bull is a bull that has a 4" or larger tine on the lower half of the beam. So, yes you can shoot antlered bulls in 317. You cannot shoot a spike or another bull that doesn't meet the definition of a brow tined bull.

thanks for the clarification. I thought that's what it meant but then I saw "antlered bull" also listed and then I got confused

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back