Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Deer Permit Advice

Gerald Martin

Hi guys,

Great little site you’ve got here. I’m so excited to get to know everyone.
My sons and I drew a deer permit on the party app and are super excited to explore our area DIY style. We’d love any advice you are willing to give us so we can be successful in notching our tags this fall.

First question- I’ve lined up a new deer stand specifically for this hunt. Is this a good color or should I change it to something else? IMG_3302.jpeg

Also, at what speed can I tow this stand and still expect to be accurate out to 400 yards? We’re all shooting 6.5 Creedmores so that should take some of the guesswork out of the equation. TIA!

Hi guys,

My sons and I drew a deer permit on the party app and are super excited to explore our area DIY style. We’d love any advice you are willing to give us so we can be successful in notching our tags this fall.

First question- I’ve lined up a new deer stand specifically for this hunt. Is this a good color or should I change it to something else? View attachment 323042

Also, at what speed can I tow this stand and still expect to be accurate out to 400 yards? We’re all shooting 6.5 Creedmores so that should take some of the guesswork out of the equation. TIA!
I would recommend prison pink, it throws the deer off and they actually come walking towards it.

When it comes to speed you have to take into account wind speeds and then calculate the speed of the trailer and then you divide by wind direction and then multiply by the square root of wind speed.

Happy hunting!!!

You should probably try to match the color of that blind to what you most commonly see on the closest roadway. You’ll want the deer comfortable with what they normally observe

Hey guys, I drew the same permit and so I am gonna piggy back off this one. The LandTrust.com website is currently crashed so I am just trying to get ahead of the game.

If we could find the back half of an ‘80’s Suburban we could probably weld it on. There’s three of us already, it’s going to be full in that single cab. If we welded an extra seat and had two more windows we could have every angle covered. What kind of beer will you bring?

I’d paint it like a McDonald’s or popcorn stand like you see at the fair. Deer love that stuff. Remember when you stick your head out the window if you can feel it but not hear it your goin less than 10, if you can hear it but your eyelashes aren’t moving it’s 10-20, if your eyelashes are moving it’s over 20.

Last edited:
I did some research on that guys bow hunting skills. That looked cool. Might try that for the first couple of days. Should help with the competition if nothing else.
IMG_3307.gif

Alright Gerald I’ll let you in on a little secret. I’m only doing this since that day we sat next to each other you seemed like a pretty cool cat. The trick is to actually hunt with the wind actually wanna travel at the same speed of it. This will cause zero wind drift and increase your shooting ability with the cm by about 300 yards. Also most people don’t realize but travel at the speed of wind also keeps critters from smelling you.

Alright Gerald I’ll let you in on a little secret. I’m only doing this since that day we sat next to each other you seemed like a pretty cool cat. The trick is to actually hunt with the wind actually wanna travel at the same speed of it. This will cause zero wind drift and increase your shooting ability with the cm by about 300 yards. Also most people don’t realize but travel at the speed of wind also keeps critters from smelling you.

I just lined up a driver. He said he’s got the wind computation figured out. Thanks for the great advice.
IMG_3308.png

Hi guys,

First question- I’ve lined up a new deer stand specifically for this hunt. Is this a good color or should I change it to something else? View attachment 323042

Don't change a thing

One of my favorite stands on the Alabama farm we hunt is the bed of ancient F-150 sitting on blocks with a blind built around it, situated on a long-abandoned railroad embankment.

Need to attach a corn spreader to a Briggs n Stratton 3hp prop on the front, park your van down by the river and crack a few skulls!

Skal!

You are going to make the other 10,000 hunters on the Custer jealous. After you and your boys fill your tags on a four point.(Eastern Count) you could likely rent that to the other hunters. I think you could be on to a fantastic business opportunity. Does it come with a cup holder and beer cooler.

I think the color of the stand either needs to be Sitka Open Country, or whichever Kuiu camo matches where that tag is. My guess is that Verde greenish one. Other that that, @Dsnow9 math was pretty accurate but you did not take Pi into account.

If your tags are good for an area near a subdivision, I highly recommend this setup. They will often completely ignore me until I'm right in their midst, and with this kind of firepower you can take out the whole herd. The best part is that the pieces left over are usually small enough that I can mow right over them without binding up the blades.
Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 3.46.22 PM.png

Back