Montana Deer - Most important hunt of the season

#*^@#* you asshole
Someday you will realize what a tool you are. Randy does it right, knocking on doors and making relationships for permission to hunt private. I remember when you could do that in Colorado... long gone are those days here. Obviously you are too young to discuss the logic but I hope you find clarity.

I bet Billyb goes by the screen name Nonya on most other boards except MM.com because he has been banned a couple of time there.

If you lose a guy like Billyb because you take your long time friends and two guys that have given so much time and money to conservation well that would not be much of a loss.

Lots of private land still available just by knocking on the door, no outfitter required.

Billyb is an idiot.

Nemont

Knocking on a door and getting permission to hunt is far from guided. I have done it plentey. Taking two old timers on this land is priceless.

Apperentley billy is too Hardcore for us.

I loved this episode BF. Well done. No reason to defend yourself.

You knew you were goin to get heat ovet this one and when you do you attack the messanger. I am not the only one that thinks giving into the outfitters will not help access to the public.

Billyb,
Your ignorant ramblings do not constitute "heat". Take a look around this sight, Randy has done more for promoting public access than any one individual in the hunting industry. On second thought don't take a look around, crawl back under your rock and leave us pen raised shooting, land grabbing, outfitted types alone.:D

And there you have it, the world is filled with idiots.

Even though I will not be able to see the show, I appreciated the write-up. Made me laugh on quite a few occasions. Sure reminds me of my old man and his buddies. I would do anything to get him a "last deer" if that is what he wanted.

Good for you Randy, keep up the strong work!!

I would just like to thank all of you who posted. Ole sat here this evening and read each and every post (so did my Mom). He was very touched by the wishes and comments you made. Since he is not computer literate, I had to scroll down for him and go to the next page as well, but I wouldn't have missed doing it for him for anything. Giving him the chance to read everyone thoughts is just one of the small things I can help him with in his old age. Thanks Big Fin! Great show!

The part about the "loaded rifle" prank was hilarious. It reminds me of days in the goose pit and you have to go outside to pee. Heaven help the guy who doesn't check his shotgun when he gets back!

I sure wish I hadn't missed this one. This right here is what hunting is about. It's about comraderie, relationships, memories and effort. What a great read.

Edit: For those who cannot see this for the priceless treasure it is, I feel sad for you.

I would just like to thank all of you who posted. Ole sat here this evening and read each and every post (so did my Mom). He was very touched by the wishes and comments you made. Since he is not computer literate, I had to scroll down for him and go to the next page as well, but I wouldn't have missed doing it for him for anything. Giving him the chance to read everyone thoughts is just one of the small things I can help him with in his old age. Thanks Big Fin! Great show!

It's guys like Ole that got me so excited about hunting. My Grandfather, and Bob Nelson, and Eric Andersen, have all passed away but the stories of hunting exotic places like the Vermillion river sure made a 6 year old boy want to follow in their footsteps.

For those who have to pay a fee or lease private ground just to have a place to hunt, they would probably like to have a different situation for access. Yet, that is not the case in many places. They have two choices - pay the fee, or don't hunt.

Another good point, Randy. Thanks for pointing this out, as well. As a guy who was raised in MT, but now lives in TX, this rings true. A lot of circumstances dictate how and when a guy can hunt. Sure, I'd love to still have the A-B Wilderness out my back door. But I don't. Do I sit home and not hunt? I still hunt out west every chance I get. Those chances just aren't every weekend like they used to be. So now I hunt on my own in different ways. It's different... sure. But it's a gift to be out in God's creation when you can.

This episode has a great message. Thanks for facilitating the hunt for those who still would like to do it, but would struggle to get it done without help.

Last edited:
My favorite episode of all time !! Good on you Randy for helping a guy that has seen so many deer seasons come and go and still wanted to hunt !! I hope that I will still be hunting when I am his age !!

Tell Ole that I hope to see him on another episode next year and congrats on a nice buck.

Fin, you need to release the uncensored footage on the DVD. Hiding that tag and Ole's reaction to it was priceless! Best part of the show.

Reminds me of hunting with my family, especially the elders.

My Dad had an expression "Fit to be tied" which I think applies to the exchange this morning. I have not had a chance to watch the episode yet (no cable, waiting on the DVD), but had a great time reading Fin's posts about the hunt last year. This was just plain a great thing to do.

Management and the hunt talk crew in general have impressed me with the degree of skill, ethics, and the generosity shown to kids, old folks, vets and other hunters in general. Please keep it up, Fin.

Greetings! My first post to Randy's site - thanks for all your great entries. Last day of MT rifle season -- tired but happy. Did so-so on elk but took a great mulie that I had some history with. Had 3 encounters with this guy in 2010 but prematurely ejaculated on a nearby 4x4 WT. 20 mins later while looking for a doe tag to fill, he stood 60 yds broadside smiling. Situation ethics! Last Saturday my bro-in-law saw a great buck and described him. He hunted him for 3 days then went back home to NC MT. My turn! I worked his niche for several hours then got the drop on him in heavy timber with the .284 Win at 9:30 a.m. I got lucky and there was no doubt he was the same buck from 2010 with the prominent stickers. A group effort -- ~180 B&C gross-, 7-9 yrs old.
Thanks, Randy!

Attachments

• Mulie 2012.jpg
    Mulie 2012.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,588
Greetings! My first post to Randy's site - thanks for all your great entries. Last day of MT rifle season -- tired but happy. Did so-so on elk but took a great mulie that I had some history with. Had 3 encounters with this guy in 2010 but prematurely ejaculated on a nearby 4x4 WT. 20 mins later while looking for a doe tag to fill, he stood 60 yds broadside smiling. Situation ethics! Last Saturday my bro-in-law saw a great buck and described him. He hunted him for 3 days then went back home to NC MT. My turn! I worked his niche for several hours then got the drop on him in heavy timber with the .284 Win at 9:30 a.m. I got lucky and there was no doubt he was the same buck from 2010 with the prominent stickers. A group effort -- ~180 B&C gross-, 7-9 yrs old.
Thanks, Randy!

He is a beauty, congrats. I love hearing stories of guys getting a second chance at a buck years later.

If you are going to insult someone at least learn to spell.

Guys like Billy frustrate the hell out of me. Although I dont know Fin at all, I think I can say he has done more for helping protect the public land we do currently have to hunt than anything Billy has done. I don't know Billy either, but by that dumb string of comments he just wrote is clear enough evidence for me. I tell you what, if Ole has the desire to go out next year and you cant get him on private that you secured by putting in the time and effort to build those relationships, and have to pay a tresspass fee so that he has a chance to go out and enjoy what may again be his last hunt, then send me the bill for what it costs to get him on somewhere. Although I have never paid a tresspass fee before so that I could hunt, I would if it meant he could go out in his mid 80's and feel that adrenaline and the enjoyment of the outdoors that brings all of us back out yo the woods each fall.

I just got to see the episode (on DVD) last month - just about bust a gut laughing. I hope when I am Ole's age that some hunter is as generous to me.

Come again? :confused:

Why not engage your brain before you type?

Caved in on principles? You might want to pull your head out here where the air is fresh. My first principle in life is to try be a good friend, father, and husband. Next is to try do things that make life better for others. If you have a problem with those principles, then I guess you should be prepared to have problems, given most the guys on this site, and most the people I hunt with, share similar principles.

Let me get this straight - You think I am supposed to let one of my long-time hunting buddies sit at home because when I offer to take him hunting his health and age don't allow him to go where he once did.

I guess this is how the conversation would go if you were talking to some old boy.

billyb, "Ole you want to go deer hunting this year?'

Ole, "I would like to Sport, but I just can't get around very well anymore? As much as I love deer hunting, I think I have shot my last buck."

billyb, "Well $%@* you old guys. Life's a bitch, eh. Too bad for you. All those times you took me out to your duck blinds doesn't mean chit."​

Your comment is by far the dumbest ass thing I thing I have read on this site in the last year. If you can't see the value in what that episode was about, you need some serious adjustment to your priorities.

Yeah, he is getting too old to get around real well. Doesn't mean he doesn't still have that desire and passion to hunt. For him, that hunt was a serious effort. He sat in a couple days of cold windy weather, with his aching 83 year-old body doing all it could to hang in there. Probably more gumption and courage for him to do that than you can understand. For a once-proud mountain hunter who has shot more bull elk than many have even seen, it was probably a hit to his pride and dignity to accept the fact that he might need some help even to go on a whitetail hunt.

I guess we can be selfish asses who make old folks feel bad about what time has done to their bodies and try to insult their dignity, or we can understand that it happens and do all we can to help them continue to share the hunt. I know what my choice is.

By the way, the guy was a paratrooper in Korea, spent some cold winters in a God-forsaken part of Asia, lost his brother in the same war, came home and was a smokejumper for the Forest Service. In addition to being one of my dearest friends, he has earned the respect of most everyone who knows him, myself included. He is a well renowned decoy carver who has helped Ducks Unlimited raise over $300,000 with decoys he has donated.

You state I am becoming unprincipled in the way I hunt. Well, guys like that are going to get every bit of my ambition and energy to do something special for them, given all they have done for us.

And by the way, it was self-guided. It was On Your Own. It was on private land that does not require payment, other than building a relationship with the landowners; something I suspect would be difficult for a person spewing your perspectives on life and hunting.

Just in case you try to edit your dumbass words, I am copying them below, exactly as you wrote it, so nothing is lost in translation.

I just joined today and BigFin reminds me of my grandpa who was the greatest,fairest, and honest man I've ever known. I think Im really going to like it here .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back