NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Montana combo license question

birddog32

Hi all. Have never applied to Montana. I see NR elk-deer combo licenses are available to apply for online. From what i can see, it looks to be a general draw license. Does this mean if I draw I can hunt any unit at any time, any weapon? Was guessing I had to apply to an area. Ready to pull the trigger on application but want to make sure I dont screwup. Thanks for your time.

Montana, although with an almost 4 month season has a rather complicated set of regulations. I suggest you look at the regs at http://fwp.mt.gov/
We recently did away with Outfitter Guaranteed license so it is now all on a draw basis.
If you are thinking of having more than one person apply, apply as a group, then anyone getting the license, all get them?
It is advisable, at least for me, to download the regulations in PDF as there are many pages, and then you can go back and forth as you see fit. As an example I live and hunt mostly in the 100 district, 102 gives me Elk, but not cow and only brow tined bull, so there are different areas that determine what you can and cannot hunt for. Hope this helps some.?

If you draw this combo tag, you can hunt any of the general deer or elk units with any legal weapon for that time frame. There are not many limited entry hunts for deer, and most the limited entry elk units are east of the Continental Divide.

Archery season is six weeks long, followed by a five week rifle season. Hard to get much more fun out of a general tag than what those eleven weeks can provide.

Good luck.

Thanks, that should make this app much easier. Cripes looked at last years regs and drawings and it was more confusing than a union contract.

Thanks, that should make this app much easier. Cripes looked at last years regs and drawings and it was more confusing than a union contract.
I know what you mean I had to go through it several times and ask a few questions here to get a good understanding of the system.It pretty much makes sense to me now.They must make it confusing so they dont get a bunch of dumb@sses out there hunting LOL.

I don't think the regs will be out until April or May. You don't need them to apply anyway.

Put in for the combo and if you draw, you can apply for a special permit in due June 1.

As Bigfin said, you can hunt just about anywhere in the state that doesn't require a 'special permit'. Last years regs will likely be very similar to this years. The number of special permits may change slightly, but I doubt they'll add many/any special draw areas.

Good luck.

Depends on where your base camp is as far as what you do. Generally from the continental divide west is general season. My roots are on the east side (Moore/Lewistown) which is an hour or more drive to the closest general (elk) season or special hunt area. To me, elk are meat animals, and deer are what I really go for. Deer are everywhere, but elk take some planning. Like I said, depends on where your base camp is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back