Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Bull

MTClacka

I was lucky enough to take this bull last Friday. I had been glassing some heavy timber in a deep canyon, not expecting to find much as it was midday and hot! I focused on one particular shaded spot and saw a branch that just didn't look right. After a few minutes, it moved slightly, confirming that it was the very top of an antler. I moved up the ridge 40 yards or so to get a different vantage point, and found the bull bedded with a perfectly clear shooting lane right to him. I ranged him at 355 yards and got ready for him to stand. I figured I had plenty of time, but by the time I found him in the scope, he was already standing up and staring down the draw. I rushed at that point, and took the shot. Clean miss, but he was still standing there! Cranked another one in, took a deep breath, and anchored him right where he was standing. The hike to get over to him was quite stressful due to the terrain, and the fact that I had no clue what he looked like, other than he was a legal bull. Needless to say, when I finally walked up on him, I was ear to ear smiles.

elk5.jpg
SAM_0015.jpg

Dang nice bull, congrats. Does he have a funky base on the right side?

Dang nice bull, congrats. Does he have a funky base on the right side?

He does. The right pedicle was funky and much lower than normal. Also only had a stub for a brow tine, so he was missing both of those. You could definitely tell that the growing went to the other 4 points as they were much larger than the left antler. I fully expected to see damage to the skull when I skinned it out, but it looked totally normal.

20161111_155639.jpg

Congrats on a super nice bull, I know your dad was grinning ear to ear also. He sent me a pic the other day. Sounds like you guys got one more tag to fill:) Best of luck on getting your old man one like that also.
Drew

That is the best kind of surprise when you find it's much more than just a legal bull, congrats to you.

Thanks Drew. Yep, now just need to find a bigger one for him! I'm feeling pretty confident his tag will get notched soon.

Back