MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Bighorn Strategy (comment opp.)

1st observation, is that in region 3 many of our wild Big Horn herds have crashed in the last 3 years. Sad that domestic sheep still receive precedence over wild herds.

Three hundred pages? Do you have the Cliff Notes version?:D Point me in the direction of the stuff that will piss me off. ;)

Just spent quite a while nosing though it.
It really isn't looking that good for region 3.
I had no idea the highlands used to have the amount of sheep that they did. They dumped 67 more into there this spring. This doesn't really say, but I'm assuming they figured something out before doing so that gives them a good reason to think it'll work this time.
Also pretty depressing to see what happened to the Elkhorn herd, what a waste.

Good to see the Breaks, Front, and western populations doing so well. Kind of surprised on the numbers in a couple units, especially on mature rams that probably never get hunted.

Oak, read page 62, and let me know if you like or dislike that part.

I didn't see anything on that page to get too upset about. IMO, it's a pretty well reasoned process. I'm pretty sure I know the parts that you are unhappy with, particularly the final item listed. However, the way that iten written is about the only way that it can work, without having the whole process tied up in court. Those situations also illustrate the difficulty of working with federal land administration and state wildlife management...

As much as it pains me, I have to agree with 1_P. Establishing new herds in the vicinity of domestic sheep allotments is a waste of time, money and energy. If there are such areas where bighorn sheep may do well if not for domestics, then sheep conservation orgs may want to pursue negotiations with the permitee for vacating the allotment. I don't believe it is something that the FWP should get involved with.

I'd like to seen those conservation orgs spend more money on disease research at this point, though. Lots of marginal herds out there these days, and many are herds started by translocation. I think we need to concentrate more on making existing herds healthy before we make more herds.

Number 5 on page 62 says:
) Approve transplants only with the written
approval of the private landowners in the
area where the herd is expected to establish.

Now if an area is mostly public, with little private and the these land owners say no, that means no. The way I read it they have veto power no matter if all the other ducks line up. I'd like to see that line modified.

Oak- Don't know why it should be so hard to agree with me, especially since I'm right so often... ;) Also, don't forget that vacating an allotment is not the only alternative. We've been successful in negotiating agreements to change the class of livestock from sheep to cattle. In these cases the negotiations involved the agency, the permittee, the DWR, and the sheep org. From what I can tell all parties are mostly happy...

SS- I still don't see the problem. I think the state is very smart in having that language in that part of the management strategy. Say they don't get buy in from a private landowner and the landowner decides to put sheep or goats on their private land that can/will mix with the bighorns.... I would hate to see all the $$, effort, sheep wasted. How would you rewrite that item in the plan?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back