Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana big game opener

8andcounting

Who’s headed out this week ? Good luck to all , be safe have fun and post pics and stories . Atleast it’s no blizzard this year

Im missing out this year on hunting due to working out of state and limited family time. Good luck to those heading out and have fun. The weather patterns seem similar to 2016 currently

Good luck to all ! Probably already some dead bucks and bulls ! Post pics

im at work. watchin a solid 180in buck on a aliver of state land that is very shootable, first opening day in 24 yrs ive missed😢

Good luck to all. Just curious, if you had just 2 weeks to hunt deer and elk would you hunt from the opening weekend (with a few scouting days prior) or wait until mid November for the deer rut and mobbed up bulls?

Good luck to all. Just curious, if you had just 2 weeks to hunt deer and elk would you hunt from the opening weekend (with a few scouting days prior) or wait until mid November for the deer rut and mobbed up bulls?
Most of my mule deer success has accrued in the first two weeks of the season, but there was considerably more than a few scouting days to go with it. Someone new to the area is probably better off hoping to get lucky during the rut.

Last edited:
Most of my mule deer success has accrued in the first two weeks of the season, but there was considerably more than a few scouting days to go with it. Some new to the area is probably better off hoping to get lucky during the rut.
Thanks antlerrader. That’s very helpful and makes a lot of sense.

I would guess most hunters that regularly shoot nice bucks in Montana are residents/locals that have one pegged and probably get him first week or 2 of season

I saw a respectable whitetail go by at Mach 2. But since he was spooked up by the 90 head of elk that had run through his bed, and cows elk were my preferred hunt, I just smiled and waived.
Lots of hunters out… nice weather I guess.
I have friends that fish opening weekend. I am starting to see the wisdom. This year fishing would have been better.

Probably the first since access in the areas I like to hunt can get iffy the later it gets. Depending on the area, there can be a lot more hunters out the last two weeks of the season than there are the first! I've had BMAs all to myself for the first few weeks only to see 5 or 6 trucks there towards the mule deer rut.

Back