Montana big four draw coming up soon !

My Dad drew a Spanish Peaks goat tag, so I will be able to repay him for helping me on my goat hunt in 2013!! Would any locals care to share how the snow pack is this year. I spent some time in that country when I lived in Bozeman, but im thinking we should be good to start some scouting trips early July?

You can already get back in there if you want

Snowpack south of town is higher than normal. Will be almost a month before all the goats are locked into summer places. I'd bet a lot of the higher reaches have very deep snow still - as in over any of the goat's heads.

Snowpack south of town is higher than normal. Will be almost a month before all the goats are locked into summer places. I'd bet a lot of the higher reaches have very deep snow still - as in over any of the goat's heads.
Second that I was just up there working this week. Goats are still gonna be in the transition between winter and summer ranges. Its always worth getting out but the better scouting will be in a couple more weeks. Good luck to you

Second that I was just up there working this week. Goats are still gonna be in the transition between winter and summer ranges. Its always worth getting out but the better scouting will be in a couple more weeks. Good luck to you
Thanks for the info, I think we will probably wait until early July to start scouting.

One lucky Hunt Talker has a 680-20 sheep tag. Nope, it's not me, but I'm very happy for him.

I know three guys who got sheep tags in MT. Applied 28 years and counting, but I know some, like JCS, who have over 40 years invested, so I'm not inclined to complain.

Congrats to all who drew.
One lucky Hunt Talker has a 680-20 sheep tag. Nope, it's not me, but I'm very happy for him.

I know three guys who got sheep tags in MT. Applied 28 years and counting, but I know some, like JCS, who have over 40 years invested, so I'm not inclined to complain.

Congrats to all who drew.
Make that two hunttalkers with the 680-20 tag. Will make sure to post as I get up there.

3 more Bonus Points for me...again!

Randy, you can add me to your list of 40+ years of unsuccessful applicants.

Interesting story from the other night. I was having a beer with an older fella I don't know well, but good conversation. At one point, I asked if he drew anything. He didn't know results were out, but his wife got out her phone and plugged in results page and handed him the phone. He looked for a bit and then stated "what do you know, I drew sheep". I made him give me the phone. Holy crap, true story, 680-20. He got more excited over the next couple beers. He will be 71 when season rolls around. Good for him.

Zippo for me this year on Sheep/Goat/Bison (I'm in the penalty box for Moose).

Probably a good thing though, as our family is moving down the Root - and I have an archery Breaks tag. It'll be enough this year.

Zippo for me this year on Sheep/Goat/Bison (I'm in the penalty box for Moose).

Probably a good thing though, as our family is moving down the Root - and I have an archery Breaks tag. It'll be enough this year.
What breaks unit? I’ll be there as well with the stick and string.

I’m one of the very very lucky less than a dozen nonresidents to draw a MT limited sheep permit this year. What an amazing privilege. 302-20. I am also fortunate to have plenty of time for the hunt. I will be spending many weeks in MT this summer and fall!

As a nonresident of MT I am especially grateful to have this opportunity. I apply for all kinds of species in many states. Usually 5 to 7 states for sheep. I’m an optimist and always think “there’s a chance” for everything. Except MT sheep. It’s the one tag I always looked at my application as a worthwhile donation to a good cause with some microscopic chance of personal upside. Well dang! I was wrong. I don’t know what I’ll have to do to pay the universe back for this tag but it’s gonna take awhile and some effort.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back