Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana Antelope Opener

BigBuxMT

Had a successful hunt on opening day. This was the only time any of us could have went hunting for Antelope this year. They're not monsters but they'll do. In the first picture is me with one a little over 12" tall, the most amazing part is it was a 600 yrd shot. The longest I've ever attempted with my 270 WSM, and was impressed. In the second picture is one of my buddys with one a little over 12" also, but the right horn made it a trophy. The third picture is another buddy with an 11 incher. We were all happy with what we got. Enjoy!

Attachments

• My Antelope resized.jpg
    My Antelope resized.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 240
  • Jerad's Antelope resized.jpg
    Jerad's Antelope resized.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 231
  • James resized.jpg
    James resized.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Jerad and I resized.jpg
    Jerad and I resized.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 236
how did you manage the 600 yrdr?
hold over is what.....10 ft. ?
nice shot.

JB-Well it wasn't quite 10 feet, I guess I never really thought about it till you said that. I held about level with the tops of his horns and about a foot in front of his nose and hit him real low and back cause he was moving right to left. So I guess about 3 to 4 feet. I'm sure it was pure luck but it worked.

Cathunt-Yeah up north

My little brother got one Sunday also and said it was 12 inches tall but it looked way bigger than mine. He said he measured straight up instead of following the horn so I'll measure it sometime and snap a couple pics. I don't think it will score very good though cause he said it was pretty busted up.

Big Bux, Congratulations on the lopes. Take a look at a ballistics table sometime. You can find them on the internet that will tell you bullet drop for most calibers. Assuming you were sighted in dead on at 300 yards and were using a 100 grain bullet, I bet your bullet drops at least 3 feet at 600 yards. More likely 4 or 5 feet if you were using a 130 grain bullet.

hell of a shot!
nice buck....congrats

congrats but since i know all 3 of you i know aint none bigger than 3". lmao
Do love JW's pretty unique.

Ithaca- I'm shooting factory ammo....Federal Premium 140 gr. nosler accubond, 2.5 inches high at 100 yrds in about a chew can group. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with luck, but yeah the ballistics made sense for the drop but the damn wind was blowing too. My dad's furthest shot on an antelope was 430 yards with his 270 WSM, I'm glad I finally out done the old man, for now.

Congrats BigBux, looks like you guys had a great hunt. The wife and I went out Monday and she didn't get a shot but was a real trooper on a couple of stocks. I got one shot but was a hair low, so no pic's this week but we're going out again on Friday. Again congrats and tell the other two the same.

schelmster

My little brother

This is the one my little brother got on the opening day but in a different area. About 14 inches tall and good mass but both diggers are broke off. His second antelope and dropped it in his tracks at 150 yards.

Attachments

• JonE.'s Antelope resized.jpg
    JonE.'s Antelope resized.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 145
Nice work on the bucks and I like to see the wildlife friendly fence in the background of the second pic.:D

Thanks miller, yeah that was a hellova tight fence. Finally got a tape on mine and it went 13.5". A little bigger than I origanally thought. Not much for mass though.

I just brought up the fence since I was mapping a bunch in some pronghorn winter range on public land the last week or two. Bottom wires should be 16" smooth or 18" barbed. The one behind you looks good, lots in the areas I have been mapping are 12 - 14" (guess I been looking at too many fences lately).:rolleyes:

Sorry, back to your hunt...congrats again...nice field shots.

Miller- I see what you mean now, I guess I wasn't really following you the first time you brought up the fence. And I didn't know they had to be like that. So does that mean if I find one that isn't the way you described, I can cut the bottom wire? LOL

Only if you do it between a couple posts. Usually the best place is where there is enough cover for an archery blind.:D

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back