MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Antelope Non Resident (Foreigner)

OzzyDave

OK folks, I’ve been issued with my ALS. We have applied for Big Game Combination. I also want to apply for an antelope tag, apparently it is a 900-20, for non resident (foreigner) I cannot see anywhere on the MFWP webpage where I can make this application. Is this something FWP release later in the year or am I looking with my elbows?
Once in country, we will visit FWP office in Bozeman to get our bowhunting license, at the same time I intend to do an OTC bear and turkey for our hunting adventure.

Antelope applications aren't due for some time (June 1) and I don't think they're accepting applications quite yet. Unfortunately you're going to need the Archery License before you can apply for the 900-20

Mmmm OK Thanks, hopefully can do this through the webpage.
We have supplied our Australian acreditiation (Bowhunter Proficiency) details for the big game combo tag. I might send an email to them to clarify if this is acceptable.

Sounds like you are lining up an awesome adventure Dave. Deer, elk, pronghorn, bear and turkey gives you plenty of options!

I've applied for a Deer Combo and thinking about a second tag like pronghorn.

Good luck with the draw.

Yeh mate, looking forward to it big time and looking at it as an adventure. I’ll have 2 good mates with me that I’ve hunted with before many times.
I figure I’m better having the tag in the pocket and not using than needing it and not having it.
In the grand scheme of things against the overall hunt, it’s only a small cost for extra tags.
I took a bear in Canada las year and wanted to spot and stalk then BUT didn’t have that option.

I hear ya regarding the bear. I shot one on Canada 2017, but want to try spot and stalk too. I actually had the opportunity in WY but only had my bow (and a handgun that i wasn't confident in using) and was solo, chickened out and decided I need a rifle to spot and stalk bear!

So I sent MFWP an email and appears our Aussie bowhunting accreditation’s are not recognised in US. The lady that replied was very helpful and directed me to take an online Idaho bowhunter education course - completed today. She said this will allow me to apply for 900-20 Antelope tag, once they are released. They confirmed I don’t need an archery license until I start hunting - happy days. We can do this over the counter, in the few days we have in Bozeman leading up to hunt.

Where are you planning to hunt? I am not that familiar with the antelope hunting by Bozeman but I suspect it is fairly limited compared to the Eastern part of the state unless you have private land lined up. You may be better off flying in to Billings or even Rapid City SD.
It used to be that you were required to have an archery licence before applying for the 900 licences. I found out that they changed that requirement this year when I applied for a 900 elk tag this year in Miles City

I hear ya regarding the bear. I shot one on Canada 2017, but want to try spot and stalk too. I actually had the opportunity in WY but only had my bow (and a handgun that i wasn't confident in using) and was solo, chickened out and decided I need a rifle to spot and stalk bear!

You make it to CO in ‘20 I got a spot for you.

Where are you planning to hunt? I am not that familiar with the antelope hunting by Bozeman but I suspect it is fairly limited compared to the Eastern part of the state unless you have private land lined up. You may be better off flying in to Billings or even Rapid City SD.
The antelope hunting districts near Bozeman are generally limited entry licenses and competitively sought. As a resident with points, I have not drawn in that past couple of years. It's much more difficult for the nonresident. Antlerradar is solid in his advice.

Thanks guys. We are hunting private with an outfitter - easiest way for us with limited time etc. It’s one of things like I said, I’d rather have the tag in the pocket in case an opportunity arises.

Application submitted online. WOW - how easy is it. A whole new experience for a foreigner. I’d completed it before I even had time to drink my morning coffee. Big (y) from me. I certainly do wish we had something similar here in my state

Hey guys, I just drew my MONTANA BIG GAME TAG, but have NO CLUE on what I drew, or what it comes with. I’ve hunted for 30+ years here in SOUTH TEXAS, and a buddy convinced me to go to MT to get my ELK & MULE DEER this year. Luck would have it, I drew and he didn’t. Can anyone give me some insight on what my tag means and what I have in store for this adventure come this fall? Thanks guys !

Attachments

• 0AA74FFD-A16E-4DF2-9BE4-12E4830DC3EF.png
    0AA74FFD-A16E-4DF2-9BE4-12E4830DC3EF.png
    332.4 KB · Views: 8
Hey guys, I just drew my MONTANA BIG GAME TAG, but have NO CLUE on what I drew, or what it comes with. I’ve hunted for 30+ years here in SOUTH TEXAS, and a buddy convinced me to go to MT to get my ELK & MULE DEER this year. Luck would have it, I drew and he didn’t. Can anyone give me some insight on what my tag means and what I have in store for this adventure come this fall? Thanks guys !

Looks like a road trip for you - good stuff.

I believe our Big Game Combo permits have been successful but awaiting confirmation. I’ve tried creating an account on the MyFWP section. Seems to not recognise my ALS on the system when I try to add the info. Strange because it recognised it when I applied for antelope. I checked my receipts and inputting exactly as printed. Might send them an email for a little assistance.

Reactions: LCH
That’s exactly what happened to me, can’t access now and could to apply for antelope. I’m also unable to use the check drawing option where you don’t have to log on. Hope you did draw and congrats if you did.

Seems to not recognise my ALS on the system when I try to add the info. Strange because it recognised it when I applied for antelope. I checked my receipts and inputting exactly as printed. Might send them an email for a little assistance.
That’s exactly what happened to me, can’t access now and could to apply for antelope.

This happened to me when setting up myFWP account. It was because you have to type everything EXACTLY as it was. My issue was with my address. Give FWP a call and they will have you set up in less than 10 minutes.

I just talked to FWP and its all sorted now (was tricky to do it earlier due to time difference and being at work/hunting), and I can now access MyFWP. It appears the problem was at FWP's end, maybe due to changes in now the system used international zip/postal codes, and me using EXACTLY the same info to log in didn't work. FWP created a new phone number and changed the use of the zip code and it worked. Anyway pleased to have it sorted and nice to see the results on the screen!

Recommend you give them a call Dave, so FWP can make system changes while they talk to you. The FWP person that helped me was very helpful.

Last edited:
Roger that - will do. Like you, I’ve been typing info as per my permits BUT me and technology, figured it was me.

Back