Montana 900-20 antelope drawing happening now

That is what I would like to know as well. I drew the 900 as a resident, and have for 15+ years....but it is feeling like it may become more of a true "draw" with less than guaranteed results for a resident.
This will sound like a geezer recounting the good old days (I'm 46, so "geezer-lite"), but I do remember when the idea of archery antelope hunting was an oxymoron to most people who heard about it, and when you asked a rancher if you could hunt a herd you glassed up on his property, he looked at you like you were a bit off, and said "go ahead....good luck with that." Now it is an insta-cool hunt that everyone just has to do, along with blacktail DIY in AK, and Coues deer in AZ.....
Yep. I started bow hunting pronghorn in the 90’s. You could literally go anywhere. Landowners usually just chuckled and said sure, give it a go.

How is it possible that several states offer OTC archery only antelope to NR but in MT it's not even a guarantee for residents.

I know I'm missing something here but damn that seems off
Simple math and Montana Law. NR can't receive more than 10% of the limited draw tag numbers. So around 560 NR tag holders are all that are available. On page 14 of the Elk, Deer, Antlelope regulations:
• Both resident and nonresident hunters are eligible to apply for most of the licenses awarded through the drawings. By state law, nonresidents are limited to, but not guaranteed, 10 percent of the license and/or permit quota. • Drawings are based upon the final quotas.

Simple math and Montana Law. NR can't receive more than 10% of the limited draw tag numbers. So around 560 NR tag holders are all that are available. On page 14 of the Elk, Deer, Antlelope regulations:
SS that makes sense; my question was more concerning why a state with more antelope than states like NE or SD is more conservative with archery tags than those less-antelope-having states. I wonder why archery antelope is a limited draw in the first place, I guess. Thanks for the info though.

Edit - also, didn't mean to imply MT should strive to give NRs unlimited archery antelope, more pointing out how confusing it is that resident Montanans can't always get in their own state what NRs can get OTC in states with fewer antelope

Last edited:
Opportunity. We realize its there. I know I do. Hence the tag this year. As was said, its an opportunity to, 1. put meat in freezer, or B) be insta-famous! before the other seasons open. This is the draw for me, to be super-insta-awesome-famous. (Look at me go!). I kid. Or do I... No, I want some meat in freezer so I can focus on what really matters for me and this is just another opportunity that I have never given a go before (and may never again).

Antelope populations haven’t recovered from 2011-2012 where I generally look for them. Rifle tags have increased. It’s ok to have animals that don’t get chased around for 4 months.

Antelope populations haven’t recovered from 2011-2012 where I generally look for them. Rifle tags have increased. It’s ok to have animals that don’t get chased around for 4 months.
Right, and I'm not advocating for anything specific here, just trying to learn more.

I wanted tags in Colorado Wyoming Arizona Utah and Nevada I got none of them, and I’m good with that it’s a privilege when you do. Montana doesn’t need to be the back out plan for states that manage. I could give a care less about shooting an antelope but I do like seeing critters on the landscape and if we push for opportunity to hunt every year that will continue to get less with the demand.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back