PEAX Equipment

Montana 316 or 560

CBranch

Based on some life changes for my brother and my other hunting partner will still be in Afghanistan this fall, looks like my unlimited unit sheep hunt is shelved until '14 after over a year of research, preparation, and some boots on the ground scouting.

That being said, I have invested alot of time in the north of Yellowstone area, love the country up there, and plan to do an elk hunt in the vicintity this year instead. I plan to draw for one of the two districts, either early rifle season (Sept 15) in 316 above Yellowstone or the Oct 20 hunt in 560 Boulder River drainage. They are both general license areas. I know that elk populations have been hit very hard in the 316 district by wolves the past decade, and there aren't as many in 560 any more either.

I have a connection I will rent horses from for week-10 days and base camp in the backcountry. I plan to take my uncle and two cousins along for the hunt. I will be visiting whichever area we go preseason in August for some scouting and flyfishing with my wife. We did the same thing last year, except we were scouting sheep at the time in the high country.

I was wondering if anyone has any recent experience in either of these or suggestions on the route they would take. Hunt the rut early season, or hunt the snow in Boulder Drainage?

Any input/recent experience is much appreciated in advance.
Thanks!
CBranch

Thanks CC. Based on talking to the wildlife biologists, 560 has better potential for big bulls if you ar willing to make big climbs where the horses can't go; which puts my odds the same as outfitters, and I have plenty of wind based on my training Then againm there's always the chance of catching a Park bull north of the boundary after cows too. I am leaning toward the rut since I love to hear them sound off and call them. We'll see.

Hunting the lower elevations of 560 can produce too....there was a big burn in there a few years back...cough cough. Plenty of roadless areas with trails as well. The biologist for that area is a pretty good guy to work with.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back