Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana 316 Mountain Goat - 2022 Mountain Adventure

samuel_284Win

Fellow HT members,

Yesterday I was given a gift by MT FWP in the form of an MT Goat tag in Unit 316. The only species that I have so far dedicated myself to have been deer and elk (bow and rifle) and have never hunted any of the Big Three species. I welcome any and all information, tips, and tactics for pursuing mountain goats, especially if you have had the tag in this unit in previous years. I would like to create this thread into an ongoing story, much like @LopeHunter shared with us in 2020. As of right now, all options are on the table for me, from using stock to everything on my back and maybe even using snowmobiles.

If you have had this tag, or any goat tag, and live in the Bozeman, MT area, please reach out via direct message. I would love the opportunity to ask questions and share stories over a cold drink.

The gears in my mind have not stopped turning since I viewed my draw result yesterday. Looking forward to this experience and am ready to put in the work.

Thank you all in advance!

Congrats on the tag! I had a tag in NW Montana several years ago. It will be a hunt you will never forget. Savor every minute of the planning.

I’ll second what Gerald said. Don’t wait around. Winter’s a show-up-early-and-stay-late guest in that country.

Fellow HT members,

Yesterday I was given a gift by MT FWP in the form of an MT Goat tag in Unit 316. The only species that I have so far dedicated myself to have been deer and elk (bow and rifle) and have never hunted any of the Big Three species. I welcome any and all information, tips, and tactics for pursuing mountain goats, especially if you have had the tag in this unit in previous years. I would like to create this thread into an ongoing story, much like @LopeHunter shared with us in 2020. As of right now, all options are on the table for me, from using stock to everything on my back and maybe even using snowmobiles.

If you have had this tag, or any goat tag, and live in the Bozeman, MT area, please reach out via direct message. I would love the opportunity to ask questions and share stories over a cold drink.

The gears in my mind have not stopped turning since I viewed my draw result yesterday. Looking forward to this experience and am ready to put in the work.

Thank you all in advance!
Let's talk. Got a 361 tag. Took me 40 years to draw it
My son hunted 314 last year with a friend. I am in Belgrade

Also, buy and read Douglas Chadwick’s book , “ A Beast the Color of Winter.”

You will gain a new appreciation for goats after you read it and it will make your hunt even more memorable.
Thank you for the suggestion. Just finished two books by Jim Posewitz so will continue with the wildlife/conservation-themed reading.

Don’t wait too late. Snow can come early and make it difficult to find goats.
I realize I am asking a very subjective question but for the Cooke City area, is there a hard and fast rule on the date for the first substantial snow that would severely limit access within the hunt unit? Seems to me that things get interesting after Oct 15th in GYE and southwest MT.

I realize I am asking a very subjective question but for the Cooke City area, is there a hard and fast rule on the date for the first substantial snow that would severely limit access within the hunt unit? Seems to me that things get interesting after Oct 15th in GYE and southwest MT.

It should be expected to get a snowfall in September that would temporarily restrict some access, but it usually melts off and opens back up for a while. However, in 2017 it started snowing on September 14 and never really quit. I doubt there was much travel over the passes beyond mid-September of that year.

Don't do what the last 316er did before lopehunter did. Ghost us and try and pick it up 2 years later.

Pick which side of the unit you want to hunt, ones the most common the other is less. It's also way less accessible.

Good luck to you
Roger that. Pictures and report to follow the first recon walk about.

I am also the lucky recipient of a high country goat tag in a different unit in the region. I’m planning to make my first hunt on September 15th. I am prioritizing good weather and the ability to navigate the high country over hair length.

If the unit were easier to access then my priority would change. I don’t think I have ever heard of a tag holder on 316 who wished they had waited until later to hunt that unit, but I have heard of a few who wished they had hunted earlier.

I believe I just pmed you. Helped a buddy on that tag last year and it wasn’t what we expected. He ate tag soup after passing on a billy in September. But he almost smoked a giant in late November

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back