Montana 316 Mountain Goat - 2022 Mountain Adventure

Also, buy and read Douglas Chadwick’s book , “ A Beast the Color of Winter.”

You will gain a new appreciation for goats after you read it and it will make your hunt even more memorable.
Thank you for the book recommendation. I have been enjoying it after work at night before bed. I never realized just how unique mountain goats are in all their behaviors and abilities

4C8D3FB9-FF66-43ED-8B72-F200B2F2BCAE.jpeg

3 1/2- 4/12 year old billies. Notice the scalloped facial profiles from the side angle.

Look for a “horse faced” billy.

“If it’s cute. Do not shoot.”

Just a few helpful tips from old goat hunters that have been helpful to me when trying to determine the kind of goat I am looking at.

Life and work has prevented me in July from getting out for a substantial walk about in the unit. I have not forgotten what I said earlier in the year
The floods and washouts are going to make accessing your unit extra difficult this year. Don't let that stop you from making the most of this most likely once in a lifetime opportunity.

"...I never realized just how unique mountain goats are in all their behaviors and abilities"
That is the main thing I took away from reading that and chasing them last year. We are very very fortunate to have the opportunity to chase these unique animals.

Also, listen to @Gerald Martin when it comes to "horse-faced" vs younger goats. The horse face will make their horns look smaller than others. Very deceiving.

Goats, like bears seem to look proportional to their size and can be difficult to judge when they are by themselves.

A 3 1/2 year billy might weigh 130-150lbs and have 8” horns. A 6-10 year old billy might weigh 200-250lbs and have 9-10” horns. When viewed side by side there is no mistaking the difference but when seen individually they’re harder to judge. That’s where in my opinion looking at physical cues like a “horse” face, presence of bulk in there shoulders, and a sagging gut becomes more important than horn length to determine whether a billy is mature or not.

The majority of goat hunters aren’t going to be able to declare with any certainty whether a goat has 8 1/2” horns or 9 1/2” horns until they put their hands on a him.

Let the body characteristics determine whether a goat is mature or not. The horns are generally going to be there if you kill a mature goat.

Goats, like bears seem to look proportional to their size and can be difficult to judge when they are by themselves.

A 3 1/2 year billy might weigh 130-150lbs and have 8” horns. A 6-10 year old billy might weigh 200-250lbs and have 9-10” horns. When viewed side by side there is no mistaking the difference but when seen individually they’re harder to judge. That’s where in my opinion looking at physical cues like a “horse” face, presence of bulk in there shoulders, and a sagging gut becomes more important than horn length to determine whether a billy is mature or not.

The majority of goat hunters aren’t going to be able to declare with any certainty whether a goat has 8 1/2” horns or 9 1/2” horns until they put their hands on a him.

Let the body characteristics determine whether a goat is mature or not. The horns are generally going to be there if you kill a mature goat.
If you look at enough goats, either through scouting or hunting, a mature billy stands out really quick. Now, a 8" vs a 9", 6 yr old vs 8 yr, that I never got good at.

If you look at enough goats, either through scouting or hunting, a mature billy stands out really quick. Now, a 8" vs a 9", 6 yr old vs 8 yr, that I never got good at.
Older billies do have a “look” though horn length is mostly in the first 3 or 4 years. You can look at Colorado mountain goat harvest horn data to see ages and horn lengths. Genetics or perhaps health of the goat as a kid or even the health of the bio mom ewe during pregnancy result in a jump start that soon transitions to 1/4” or less annual increase in length. The base circumference keeps increasing year by year.

Happy to report that I harvested a billy on Sept 3rd on day 6 of my walk-about into the 316 wilderness. Trials and tribulations were had, and the mature billy I was after from day 1 is still living (to the best of my knowledge, unless another tag holder got him), and my body hurts from the miles and elevation, but my spirit and health were renewed through this adventure. A formal story with pictures to follow. I will go on every mountain goat hunt that I can, just to experience terrain and wilderness in its purest form. Thank you all for the tips and for sharing your knowledge with me. Good luck to all other mountain goat tag holders this year!

Happy to report that I harvested a billy on Sept 3rd on day 6 of my walk-about into the 316 wilderness. Trials and tribulations were had, and the mature billy I was after from day 1 is still living (to the best of my knowledge, unless another tag holder got him), and my body hurts from the miles and elevation, but my spirit and health were renewed through this adventure. A formal story with pictures to follow. I will go on every mountain goat hunt that I can, just to experience terrain and wilderness in its purest form. Thank you all for the tips and for sharing your knowledge with me. Good luck to all other mountain goat tag holders this year!
Congratulations - can not wait to hear the story!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back