Into the Beartooth - Goat hunt in HD 316

MooseCaboose

Hi all! I was soliciting info in an older thread about goat hunting in that area. It seems, like many others, the hunter got a little info and then departed the forum. In response to my inquiry, @EYJONAS! challenged me to finish the thread by substituting my story. I started doing that there but have decided this would probably be more accessible in a post of its own.

Accordingly, I'll be posting updates here going forward. Expect a few updates leading up to the hunt followed by an account of the hunt, successful or not. When I first joined Hunttalk in 2014, it was the story threads that attracted me. Most of us here spend many more days thinking, planning, and daydreaming about hunting than days we are actually in the field. These posts before, during, and after were always entertaining and in a strange way I would start to feel like I was apart of a hunt.

For newer guys, an excellent example of a thread like that is this one by @Randy11. Dig into it for some fun. This thread won't grow to anything that epic, but I do hope to provide some entertainment and welcome your comments, suggestions, complaints, or encouragement.

Buckle up for a fun ride.

(For a little taste of the extremes of this country, check out this epic thread.)

Last edited:
Reposting first update from other thread:

Update #1

Currently preparing my legs and lungs for what the Beartooth will throw at us. Had let my fitness slip away a bit the last couple of seasons but managed to get away with it. I know that won't be an option this year. Having done multiple week-long backpack trips in the area--I recall some serious fatigue just from on-trail travel. Let alone chasing a billy on cliffs and rockslides.

I have pieced together our initial plan. We will be heading in deep at the beginning of the season to set a base camp. I appreciate some of the PMs advising a hunt along the park boundary, but the allure of chasing the deeper goats is too much to pass up. As such, I am looking for options on hiring a pack string to get us in and out of base camp. If you know of someone who operates in the area, please recommend.

Secondly, I appreciate the comments about waiting on longer hair. But the first 8 days of the season works best with my own work schedule as well as my brothers. If we succeed, he may not make the most beautiful mount. But I've never been much into taxidermy anyway (this would be my first mounted animal) and I doubt shorter hair will do anything to dull the adventure or the lifelong memory of hunting with both my brothers.

Finally, if any of you Huntalkers who sheep hunt will be doing some final scouting during the beginning of September, we'd gladly welcome you into our camp. PM me for details and we can make a plan.

Since a post is less interesting with no pictures, I've included this snap from our visit to the Grand Canyon this past weekend. My wife the competitive triathlete is kicking my butt in shape.

Attachments

• IMG_4998.JPG
    IMG_4998.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 191
Update #2

Howdy guys! Goat hunt count down is at 38 days (or 51 if I flex start date, more below)

I've been working on my leg and core strength along with cardiovascular fitness. Won't bore you with the details.

I was planning to hunt with both my brothers, but it's looking like one of them may be taking a new job which could interfere with his vacation days. I may flex the hunt until later in September (14th to the 22nd) if it better accommodates scheduling. This would put a little more hair on the goats. And would also mean I might run into some of you sheep hunters.

And the obligatory picture, a landscape shot off the Beartooth highway from a trip a couple weeks ago.

Attachments

• image_11.jpeg
    image_11.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
Hi All!

We are heading in tomorrow for a day of scouting prior to the opener on Sunday. Sorry about the radio silence the past month--work and life kinda swallowed me up and hunting forums went by the wayside...

All the more reason I'm excited to get into the backcountry. I will keep you posted on how the first expedition shakes out. Likely won't be posting again until after, but I'll give you guys a blow by blow.

Stay tuned...

This one should be good. Congratulations and looking forward to the story.

Well that didn’t take long! Congrats! Let’s hear how it went down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back