Montana 3/4 curl ram judging

yes t least the ones where you have a side profile...the quatering one looks so but I sure wouldnt shoot without a side view
Interesting the only one I see that has any sure signs of legality is the one on the right in the second picture.

It’s amazing photo @Oak and you can tell this guy is the biggest in the group. 79804DB1-F13B-457E-8E2C-B3CCD3409AB1.jpeg

Reactions: Oak
The biggest in the group was laying dead about 300 yards below them when the pic was taken. ;)

But tell me what's going on with the dark one in the back that looks like he's about to split a gut? I've never been able to tell exactly what I'm looking at there.

My eyes went right to that guy. Definitely worth a closer look. from that pic he appears to carry his mass well all the way down to the bottom of the curl.
It seems that he close to being legal just from the from the front view. @Oak would know and I want to see the one that was killed out of that group.

It seems that he close to being legal just from the from the front view. @Oak would know and I want to see the one that was killed out of that group.
I think the ram in question is the back one of the two standing broadside below, but I'm not certain. This pic was taken almost a month earlier. The ram that was killed was the front one, also in my avatar.

Rams3.jpg

Just pass..... the big ram is waiting over the next ridge.

All 3 rams are from 3/4 units. I bet none of them felt great when they walked up to em.

#dontdoit.
View attachment 219654
The one in the middle I saw the night before he was killed. He was too close to call for me as a first time tag holder that didn’t want it to be over but the guy that tagged him had torn a knee up there and had surgery and came back so I respect his decision. When I saw it later on the harvest report it taped 28 on the long side which is a lot more than I thought it would be as he only showed me the right side when I glassed him.

When I had the 210 sheep tag in 2007 there was a broomed off old warrior of a ram we would see every day. We could count 10yrs, he had scars all over his face a busted up nose etc. He had 16"+ bases (he had better bases than the one I shot which were over 16") and carried his mass all the way out. We were guessing his 4th quarters at around 13+" He was right on the 3/4 line and I mean right on it, but was still a mid 170 class ram. Really cool old ram used to have a picture of him with 6 other big rams.
I had the 210 tag in 2008 and probably have pictures of that same ram. Ha. Such a fun district to hunt and great area to view and photograph full curl rams. I understand the herd is only a fraction of what it was when we hunted it but I'm sure there are still some beautiful rams in that herd.

I had the 210 tag in 2008 and probably have pictures of that same ram. Ha. Such a fun district to hunt and great area to view and photograph full curl rams. I understand the herd is only a fraction of what it was when we hunted it but I'm sure there are still some beautiful rams in that herd.

The most recent dieoff really nocked it back. Looking at the harvest reports those big rams dont seem to be there anymore...hope it comes back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back