Moms/Dads worst favorite recipe

The one thing my parents made that I never ate was kidney. When they cooked it the whole house smelled like you used piss scented air fresheners.
The one thing I absolutely loved was menudo, yes that's tripe. The first time I made it myself as an adult I figured out why my mom cooked it overnight while we were sleeping, it smells like holy hell when it's cooking.

Last edited:
When I was a kid my grandfather lived with my dad and I for a few years and did a lot of the cooking. It was something he enjoyed. He made fried potatoes with almost every meal. His recipe was and I quote "a shit pot full of onions, and fry the piss out of them. "

It's not that they were bad, although they were pretty greasy, it was just that you made them five or six nights per week.

mom was a pretty good cook and I really can't think of anything that she cooked that she claimed was good but tasted horrible. The running joke around the house was if they made ketchup flavored Ice cream dad would eat it. The man put ketchup on EVERYTHING. I still to this day will not cook him a steak. If he comes to the house I cook him chicken and we eat steak, because he is just gonna throw ketchup all over it.

84 yrs old and still blazing a new path into the unknown frontier of gooie tastelessness. Today's "It's Goooood" was Sweet & Sour Chicken w/Noodles: 2 bags of rice noodles, 2 cans of pineapple, 2 jars of Sweet & Sour sauce, and 3 diced chicken tenders (that's right, 3 little chicken tenders). Cook for an hour and goop onto the plate.

Dad is 100% disabled with Alzheimer's, so he's pretty much happy with a french fry, green pea, & Mayo sandwich. Ginger Ale poured over his Corn Flakes is equally fine, But I gotta say.....this is a new low for the household.

An entire 6' book cabinet dedicated to the 78 cookbooks.....and I've never seen the 1st one opened, sitting on the kitchen counter.

Dad didn't really cook, but his go to when mom was away was peanut butter mixed with syrup on toast. We loved it as kids. Mom was taught to cook with crisco in a 900 degree cast iron skillet, through in a piece of venison and watch it shrink to a puck. I think a lot of the older generation cooked this way, I never realized that meat didn't have to be well done until I was on my own.

I was going through some of my old posts.....cuz I was bored as hell.

Sorry I missed this one. I used to mix PB & syrup all the time and put it on toast. The family thought (and still do) that it was the weirdest thing in the world, I thought it was just the inside of a Reeses cup.

And, Yes. If the meat wasn't leather, the green beans turned into mush, or the rolls burn't on the bottom, it wasn't properly cooked.

I had to learn to eat all over again when I went to Parris Island and ate 'differnt' food !!!!!

Well, when we were kids, the running joke was that anything that crawled across the yard to slowly was fair game to our Dad so that should say alot. His most famous was the dandelion greens in bacon gravy over mashed potatoes.
I had that yesterday

The one thing my parents made that I never ate was kidney. When they cooked it the whole house smelled like you used piss scented air fresheners.
The one thing I absolutely loved was menudo, yes that's tripe. The first time I made it myself as an adult I figured out why my mom cooked it overnight while we were sleeping, it smells like holy hell when it's cooking.
I love boiled kidneys! but yes they do stink when you cook them.

Basically almost everything I didn't like but was forced to eat as a child has become a craving now as a adult especially if my parents make it.

Neither of my parents were "great" cooks. Mom had some things she cooked that were amazing (homemade lasagna) but had other thing that she just never could cook, any meat was cooked well-well-done just like a hockey puck.

Dad's claim to fame was "Hamburger and Beans," which consisted of hamburger and a can of baked beans.

That was it. No other seasoning. No other flavors.

My mom is a great cook... pop, on the other hand, is an ok griller at best. One of my favorites that my mom makes is deep fried deer tenderloin or homemade chicken pot pie with noodles made from scratch. If dad is doing the cooking you can expect the grill to be busted out. He usually does a good job but every once and a while he gets a little carried away and chars the hell out of whatever he's cooking, especially BBQ chicken for some reason. I love to cook and am pretty good at cooking a lot of my favorites that my mom makes. This past Christmas she gave all us kids handwritten cookbooks with the recipes of all our favorite foods in them. From appetizers to soup to main dishes and cookies and cakes. It's great.

My mom is one of the best cooks I know, I can't ever recall a bad meal she ever made. That being said us kids were fed a lot of frozen fish sticks, I'm gagging right now just thinking about those things.

Dad tried to cook when Mom wasn't home.His favorite was sliced salami
fried in a dry pan."Bufallo Chips"For breakfast to this day when My family
visits he gets up early and makes Spam and eggs...Yuck!
As for burning water,he doesn't burn the water.He just burns
the empy pot.:cool:

Mom was a good cook. Our family problem was that were Mom and Dad and 12 kids on a janitors budget. We ate a lot of vegetables, potatoes and man could my mom make a good pot of beans. We once a pressure cooker blow the lid into the attic and beans everywhere. I honestly cannot think of anything I did not enjoy. One anomaly is that our meat was always a cheap cut that Mom pounded. To this day, I like a tough steak to prime rib. I like the chew factor

My dad killed lots of mule deer-they were always the same a little forked horn buck because they were the tenderest not like a big ol buck-they were tough as "hell". Then we had it only one way floured and fried until it was-well done. Thank god there was ketchup on the table for it as well as everything. My mom made great stuffed peppers with the same ground deer that was incredible but only when he was working swing shift. Not sure how much silverskin was on those fried chops and rounds....but it wasn't good.

Neither one of my parents are bad cooks but they are not good cooks. The dishes that really stand out in my childhood is a chum salmon casserole that would make every tuna casserole shine like the sun. And the pea soup that my mom made in which she mistook the measurement of salt from tablespoons to cups. Its been twenty years but I haven't forgotten that pot of soup. Haha.

I honestly don't remember my dag cooking much other than boiling meat for his spoiled dog. My mom wasn't-isn't the best cook but isn't the worst either. She just doesn't season things properly and over cooks most meats. She makes amazing caramel rolls, dinner rolls and lasagna. There is one thing she made when I was a kid that I hated and still don't like. It was a tomato based vegetable soup. Of course we had to eat what was put in front of us so......My mother-in-law............that woman can cook. I gain 5 pounds just thinking about a visit to their place. She did not pass those skills along to my wife unfortunately.

Last edited:
Mom was always a good cook and dad was a wizard with the smoker and grill. My parents always tried to alternate cooking duties, but when it was dads turn and the weather wouldn't permit him to use the grill or smoker, his go to was tuna helper. Holy mother of all creation I would rather chew on dry cardboard than eat that crap every damn week!

Same! My dad loves tuna noodle casserole with peas. It still makes my stomach churn a bit. Luckily it was like only once a month during the winter. It took me until my late teens until I could choke it down drowned in salt and pepper.

My brother and I knew it'd be a PB&J night for us when we'd see the bowtie noodles, cream of mushroom soup and tuna cans on the counter when we got home from school.

Seems like a lot of moms know how to make a killer lasagna, mine included. Dad was the king of breakfast at home but mom was the best when we were out hunting. She'd get up early and start cooking up diced potatoes, bacon, peppers, etc. and then toss eggs over the whole thing. It was, and still is, amazing. But particularly after several days of hunting it was like heaven on earth.

Dad didn't cook a lot from what I remember, but he did all of the grilling whether it was pork chops, burgers, or steaks. I'm still trying match up to his expertise on the grill and my wife likes to remind me that I'm not quite there yet, lol.

I need to add another...growing up we were dirt poor so we made due with what was served. My mom made flying saucers which was basically baking a slice of bologna, a scoop of commodity instant potatoes in the middle covered with shredded gov't cheese. Man I hated that stuff. She also made porcupine meatballs which I think were just poorly executed because I think the theory was sound...essentially it was burger mixed with uncooked rice, shaped into meatballs then cooked in a spaghetti sauce. I think I could remake this and it would be killer.

Back