Mom and Pop find in 243 win.

It’s a great gun to shoot easy on the shoulder ,easy to hand load , versatile and there is a wide selection of bullets both factory and for the loader. BTW sweet little rifle you have there, wish you a lot of great years of shooting.

It’s a great gun to shoot easy on the shoulder ,easy to hand load , versatile and there is a wide selection of bullets both factory and for the loader. BTW sweet little rifle you have there, wish you a lot of great years of shooting.
Thank you...I appreciate the response.

Were they long track jobs or was the caliber pretty efficient?
I loaded the 95 grain Berger VLD in those days. Not particularly a Berger fan, but it worked really, really well. These days I load the 80 grain Hammer, but have some 70 grain to load. Kids don't hunt much anymore, but I use the. 243 to hunt whitetails some. mtmuley

I have killed about four elk with mine, a half a dozen or so mule deer, and I’m not sure how many antelope. Great rifle.
Wow...I don't hear too many guys use it for elk. You are the second person to mention using it for elk in the thread. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

I’ve killed probably around 15-20 whitetail with my old Mod 70 in 243. Of the ten bucks on my wall the three biggest were with that gun. I’m a big fan of the 100gr Sierra Game Kings.
I primarily hunt in the TX hill country so my shots are under 200yds and usually even less than 100yds.

Congrats on the find. Good looking rifle. Lots of folks here use the .243 for deer. Great round.
Thanks. Looking forward to getting to the range. 243 ammo is about as common around here as rain in the west. Found a couple boxes of nosler etip but it's been so dang hot here, I would rather wait for cooler weather.

I’ve killed probably around 15-20 whitetail with my old Mod 70 in 243. Of the ten bucks on my wall the three biggest were with that gun. I’m a big fan of the 100gr Sierra Game Kings.
I primarily hunt in the TX hill country so my shots are under 200yds and usually even less than 100yds.
The twist is 1:10. I want to shoot some 90 and 100 grain rounds and go from there. Found some 90 grain etips but ammo is still tough to find here.

Went to a local gun store in the area and they had a Sauer 100 in 243. I've always wanted a 243. What do you guys/gals love or hate about the 243 Winchester?

Thanks. Looking forward to getting to the range. 243 ammo is about as common around here as rain in the west. Found a couple boxes of nosler etip but it's been so dang hot here, I would rather wait for cooler weather.
So did you buy one

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back