Mom and Pop find in 243 win.

I love mine. It's my go-to for deer and antelope. I would love to use it on elk, but don't feel comfortable with that though. Here in WY, we can hunt turkey with centerfire. I have thought of using my 243 for that. Haven't yet.

Love my .243 loaded with 100gr soft points. Go to for my antelope hunts. Easy to shoot a lot and my wife uses as well. Ruger American has done me well.

Not that it would matter but each one has there favorite instrument. Me I am old school, match the game and range plus distance to walk. Younger I would not hesitate to carry a heavier rifle, now I look to a lighter one. Even tho I prefer 06 for long shots I don't need my 300 win mag for and my 243 is great for short range deer and coyotes I've even added a 308 for variety. Now for the walking sticks to make sure I don't fall on my face and mess up a perfectly hansom "Old Man"🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ford, Ram, Chev, Toyota

White, Blue, Red

To each his own. If it works for you, own it.
You eventually will realize that mfg. Need to continually Change to keep revenue going.
A 6 mm looks like a 243 - 308 close to a 7mm-08 - - 270 close to a 30-06

Then you got the "wild cats"

Shoot what you like.

Sliced bread. -. Croissant - Still dough

Reminds me of a John Wayne Western.
Robert Mitchum got a bullet in his leg and is leaking, The old Dr. Tells the young Dr. Bout the bullet in Wayne's back, so they go to look, the grizzly old man said to Mitchum, guess his misery is more interesting than your Misery.
There's a clue in here😎

Last edited:
I’m Luke warm on the .243 but the 80grain TTSX has warmed me to cartridge a little. A bullet in the lungs will kill anything, but I do prefer an exit wound to leave a heavier blood trail, especially down here where I hunt whitetails. Complete penetration has not always been my experience with .243’s

Fwiw, I bought one for my daughter a few years ago and it has killed about 20 deer, a dozen Javies, and a couple antelope between her, her friends, brother and cousins - most with the 80 grain TTSX. Come to think of it, I’m not sure why I’m still iffy on the caliber.

Here is a pic of a 150lb field dressed buck’s leg bone immediately below the shoulder blade. My daughter shot this past season with the ttsx. Shot was about 110 yards, it did pass completely through.

Attachments

• F5BF1807-2915-4983-9E42-B54FBB9A944B.jpeg
    F5BF1807-2915-4983-9E42-B54FBB9A944B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
I’m Luke warm on the .243 but the 80grain TTSX has warmed me to cartridge a little. A bullet in the lungs will kill anything, but I do prefer an exit wound to leave a heavier blood trail, especially down here where I hunt whitetails. Complete penetration has not always been my experience with .243’s

Fwiw, I bought one for my daughter a few years ago and it has killed about 20 deer, a dozen Javies, and a couple antelope between her, her friends, brother and cousins - most with the 80 grain TTSX. Come to think of it, I’m not sure why I’m still iffy on the caliber.

Here is a pic of a 150lb field dressed buck’s leg bone immediately below the shoulder blade. My daughter shot this past season with the ttsx. Shot was about 110 yards, it did pass completely through.

A 95gr Nosler B-tip on top of some RL22 with wreck some lungs, I can tell you that!

Have you ever not had a pass through with the TTSX? We've had them on everything we've shot with a 55gr TTSX in a .223 Rem.

The .243 and 22-250 are the funnest bolt action rifles I've operated, and they'll do the job on any of the game I dispatch in Mother Texas.

A 95gr Nosler B-tip on top of some RL22 with wreck some lungs, I can tell you that!

Have you ever not had a pass through with the TTSX? We've had them on everything we've shot with a 55gr TTSX in a .223 Rem.
Just a couple that didn’t pass through, when you do recover them they always look pretty

Attachments

• 26BD6D18-F8DA-4693-B62C-8E5F4CEC5745.jpeg
    26BD6D18-F8DA-4693-B62C-8E5F4CEC5745.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Just a couple that didn’t pass through, when you do recover them they always look pretty

How far was that shot?

We've shot them from 50 yards to 150 yards with pass throughs on all of them. 1 big mulie doe ran about 60 yards pouring blood the whole time. The others all dropped at the shot.

How far was that shot?

We've shot them from 50 yards to 150 yards with pass throughs on all of them. 1 big mulie doe ran about 60 yards pouring blood the whole time. The others all dropped at the shot.
That particular bullet was from a Javelina quartering away at 150 yards. Grazed back right ham and lodged in neck.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back