Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MN moose hunt begins today

mconway951

Just found out i got drawn for my once in a lifetime moose hunt here in MN. the zone is in the Boundry Waters Canoe Wilderness Area. We will have a fishing guide shuttle us to a point that is the cut off for motorized boats from there we will paddle in about 15 miles and set up camp. Am planning on going on a few scouting trips over the summer but driving 5 hours then getting shuttled and paddling all day to scout for a few days then driving home makes it little out of the question for a weekend trip. Will take lots of pics and video of all of it to keep it updated.
Good luck to everyone else that drew a tag.

Congrats Mike. That will be a great hunt in some areas that people hardly ever get to see. Looking forward to hearing the stories and seeing the pictures.

Perfect setting for a once and a life time hunt.Good luck and hope the bugs don't carry you away on your scouting trips.

Will be a unique adventure for sure. Best of luck and keep us updated.

That sounds like a blast. Take tons of pictures.
How's the management in MN? They target older age bulls?

That sounds like a blast. Take tons of pictures.
How's the management in MN? They target older age bulls?

The last few years they are simply trying to keep the moose population from continuing to decline. The hunt was changed to bulls only a couple years back. They aren't sure of the cause of the unusually high moose mortality yet. We've got plenty of wolves and they take their share but surprisingly a good number of otherwise healthy moose simply fall over and die. Some blame it on global warming and others on a some sort of unknown parasite. In any event, I hope the figure it out before there aren't enough left to even hunt. The NW part of the state experienced such a rapid decline that the hunt went from quite a few tags around 1994 to none by 1996 or so and they haven't had a hunt since them with moose sightings reported near zero up that way. You are more likely to see an elk in NW MN than a moose.

The last few years they are simply trying to keep the moose population from continuing to decline. The hunt was changed to bulls only a couple years back. They aren't sure of the cause of the unusually high moose mortality yet. We've got plenty of wolves and they take their share but surprisingly a good number of otherwise healthy moose simply fall over and die. Some blame it on global warming and others on a some sort of unknown parasite. In any event, I hope the figure it out before there aren't enough left to even hunt. The NW part of the state experienced such a rapid decline that the hunt went from quite a few tags around 1994 to none by 1996 or so and they haven't had a hunt since them with moose sightings reported near zero up that way. You are more likely to see an elk in NW MN than a moose.

That is exactly it i thought about waiting and not even applying for a tag for few years and hope the numbers come back up but on the other hand I thought if they disappear here in MN i might never get a chance to hunt them in my home state. The part of the zone that I go into really there is only one way to gt into and you need to basically go rigth by the fishing guide that will fairy us out he has never in the 20 years that he has been up there seen anybody go after them that far back in off the beaten path so hopefully it will be a good spot.

Congrats on drawing the tag, looking forward to hearing the story as it unfolds.

How did your moose hunt go? It seems like such an impossibility to get drawn that I have never applied, but perhaps I should start.....

Back