Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MN Deer Down

mconway951

Last Sunday was the 13 year anniversary of my best friend who was the closest thing to a brother I have ever had being killed in a car wreck. I spent the day with my kids and after I dropped them back off with their mom I decided to go sit in the treestand my girls and I had set the day before in an area I knew held a good deer.

The day was filled with some highs and lows. Missing my long lost buddy and playing with my girls and teaching them about the outdoors. As I sat reflecting on the past and what Justin is missing in life today deer started to appear in the field. Shortly after the deer I had been looking for appeared next to me at 12 yards. As he moved into the field he stopped and gave me a small window to shoot through at 11 yards. I was able to slip an arrow through the brush and due to the close shot and high angle down hill I went in high and lodged in the off side shoulder leaving no exit wound. He bolted at the shot and ran though a tree line out of site. With no exit wound and knee high grass it was a tough track job but it was a double lung hit and he only made it about 100 yards and we recovered him that evening.

This is my best whitetail to date and after not archery hunting for 5 years due to going blind in my right/dominate eye and having to teach myself to shoot lefty I feel pretty accomplished in taking this great pope and young deer.

Although oct 18 will always be a sad day for me that night in the stand is not one I will forget. RIP Justin and thank you for being with me that night in that tree

Attachments

• armcurl2.JPG
    armcurl2.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 370
  • treestandselfie.JPG
    treestandselfie.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 369
That's a great buck, but an even better story! Always nice to have someone looking out for you!

Great buck! You will think of your friend every time you look at it hanging on the wall. Congrats.

Awesome buck, Mike. I was great getting the updates via text all day and evening and the days leading up to the hunt and all of the trail cam pictures and everything. You put a lot of work into this buck and it paid off.

Congratulations "Lefty"

I missed the part about turning your body around to accommodate your eye situation. How long did it take to feel it might be possible to switch to left handed bow ? ......(and gun, I assume).

Congratulations "Lefty"

I missed the part about turning your body around to accommodate your eye situation. How long did it take to feel it might be possible to switch to left handed bow ? ......(and gun, I assume).

It was an entire off season of shooting rifle to feel confident shooting. I did that for a few years then tried wing shooting with a shotgun last year which was even harder. Then I bought my left handed bow back in april of this year and spent ALL summer shooting at the range at least 4 days a week for 1-2 hrs a night after work. I still don't feel confident past 30 yds but I just stayed inside my comfort zone. At the range I can hold groups to 50 but on an animal...shooting at an awkward angle....from an treestand with wind blowing....nope. I actually let this deer walk a week before because he was at 40 yds and I just didn't feel comfortable taking that shot. Its been a challenge but it was so nice to just get back outdoors again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back