Missouri Breaks

We were up this last weekend looking for sheds and I thought a few might be interested in some pictures. We didn't go all the way into the bottoms, but it looks like the majority of the cottonwoods and willows were greening up and there were patches of grass and weeds starting as well.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Tin Can Hill

picture.php

Very cool. That area is awesome. You know it's illegal to keep sheds from the refuge, right?

Very cool. That area is awesome. You know it's illegal to keep sheds from the refuge, right?

Oh crap.............guess we better take these back then;) I guess this is decent for a 5 hour hike???

Attachments

• Horn Hunt 2012 small.jpg
    Horn Hunt 2012 small.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 2,324
Ha...it is also illegal to drive OHVs off-road on BLM, but that doesn't seem to stop folks. I witnessed a fine example of that while shed hunting in the Breaks this past weekend. It saddens me that people are--A. too fat and lazy or B. obsessed with HAVING to pick up lots of horn to maintain their 'man card'--to have any respect for the land or the elk. I assume these are the same folks that take 80yd shots at bulls in September...

Yep, you're not supposed to keep antlers from the CMR, but we were on BLM looking and the pictures are the CMR since we wanted to see what the bottoms looked like and if the willows will be huntable this year. Nice haul of sheds. We are usually happy if we find one or 2.

It looks like the elk population is doing well. I hope there are some deer if I ever get the chance to go back.

Oh crap.............guess we better take these back then;) I guess this is decent for a 5 hour hike???

Haha, I hiked all over the CMR last summer and still only saw a couple sheds.

I hope that picture was just from you trying to see how many sheds you could fit in the pack from multiple outings... if that was actually from one trip, it makes me feel like a really crappy shed hunter. My (shed)/(mile walked) ratio is incredibly low.

When I lived on Cow Creek (south of Chinook, way south) we were a stones throw from from refuge. They were "reintoducing" elk back to the refuge. It was quite a deal as they actually released some just east of Cow Island ferry and somehow Dad got wind of it and we went down to watch. It didn't take them long to find the ranch even though we were 30 miles away. Irrigated alfalfa can be smelled for miles. :)

I agree about knuckle heads and OHV's. I'm fat and lazy but I can still catch my mules. don't even need a sticker althugh I wonder how long it will be before some idjit from Denver decides :hump::hump::hump: we'll need a "permit".

RJ

Haha, I hiked all over the CMR last summer and still only saw a couple sheds.

I hope that picture was just from you trying to see how many sheds you could fit in the pack from multiple outings... if that was actually from one trip, it makes me feel like a really crappy shed hunter. My (shed)/(mile walked) ratio is incredibly low.

Not only was it one trip, it was only half a day............sometimes you just get the right spot. Fortunately, for about 10 years, we have found that "right spot". I have had a few days like this one, but it sure makes the days of only finding one or two really feel crappy.

Here was another one day haul prior to the Mystery Ranch Days;)

Attachments

• small 2.jpg
    small 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3,693
Just another half day trip............this one was actually almost a full day, but got a slow start that day because the day before was literally twice this many. Best day I have ever had, trying to figure out where the pictures are. First time I actually picked so many in one day that I had to radio a buddy for help..............he wasn't as thrilled to help since he only had one all day:)

Attachments

• Pack4.jpg
    Pack4.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,794
Oh, another day trip. One of my best finds ever that day, big palmated 7x8 bull.

I only make time for one outing a year anymore so I have to make the best of the 2-3 day window I can............

Attachments

• Packin Bone 2.jpg
    Packin Bone 2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,713
Remember coming back early this day because I found the limit of a badlands 2200 pack;)

Attachments

• one day in new area.jpg
    one day in new area.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2,742
Haha, wow that is impressive. I've had 15+ mile days and found nothing. It's a good day when I find a shed. I've also had a a friend pick up a moose horn that I was almost standing on that I didn't see, that could explain some of it.

I cant imagine finding that many horns. I've found 17 muley horns in one day, but most were white and old... I found 5 elk horns one day, but they were all small. Best day ever was 3 moose horns and 3 elk horns and one whitey horn.

Jealous.

Dont feel to be Hock... I can easily compete with you for the lowest ratio of horns per mile... the above "best days" are big time exceptions.

I'll be at Slippery Ann for the weekend (leaving in a few hrs). I may get tired of fishing and have to go for a hike or two. I am obsessed with rocks and fossils and the big rains of last spring did a good job exposing some new stuff, so I'll be looking for that too. Packs get heavy fast when you are carrying ROCKS!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back