Missouri Breaks 410 Archery

I've hunted it many times. I would suggest you bring bug dope as part of your gear.

Other than that, be mobile and ready to move a lot, based on the hunting pressure. You will have a LOT of company on weekends. Elk get moved to either private or the nastiest terrain as a result of that pressure. It also curtails their daytime pressure.

Not that such is a different response than in other areas, but most I run into in 410 expect it to be a low pressure affair because it is a limited entry draw. Not the case, at least opening week and on weekends. If I had to pick, I would go the last week of September of the first week of October. They are still bugling strong and the pressure has subsided a lot.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Several friends of mine have done that. One killed his bull and had a great hunt, the other got caught in an early freeze and had to abandon ship and hike out. You'll probably be early enough to avoid that issue. Best of luck, there is no place like it.

if your on the river or anywhere near it bring LOTS of bug spray and then bring some extra for when you run out.

I've been reading a lot of doom and gloom on different forums over the last couple years about how much worse the elk hunting has become on the breaks. I understand that numbers are down, but it can't really be that bad is it? In the falls of '07-'09 when I bowhunted it, we hiked into the furthest spots we could get to and literally saw elk every morning and evening. I'm I just not wanting to accept this or is it being exaggerated how much worse it is? Either way,im getting pumped to head out there in 10 days. It looks like the weather is going to be cooler than normal too.

Good luck. Im the same way some stories are its amazing and some are gloom and doom. Im just hoping for the best and planning for the worst.

I've been reading a lot of doom and gloom on different forums over the last couple years about how much worse the elk hunting has become on the breaks. I understand that numbers are down, but it can't really be that bad is it? In the falls of '07-'09 when I bowhunted it, we hiked into the furthest spots we could get to and literally saw elk every morning and evening. I'm I just not wanting to accept this or is it being exaggerated how much worse it is? Either way,im getting pumped to head out there in 10 days. It looks like the weather is going to be cooler than normal too.

You can count the number of elk in the breaks this year with your two hands.

:)

theres plenty of elk there. But a large number are on private or will be very fast after the season opens. There are A LOT of hunters, some good some bad. Its not a slam dunk by any means. Success/action wise I'll take the mnts anyday, I go to the breaks for size thats all.

If you hunt the river bottom, I can’t imagine you not getting into elk. As others have said if you hunt earlier in the season be prepared for skeeters and gnats. They can be quite bad early in the season but get much more tolerable after the first frost. Usually it gets cold enough for some bug control by the third to fourth week in September but you never know. There will be quite a few guys hunting the bottoms and many hunt from stands. If you head in to Turkey Joe for the launch be very mindful of the weather as there are steep gumbo hills to get out and if it rains enough you won’t get out until it dries some. Good luck!

How many of you guys are gonna chance going up this weekend with the forecast?

Plenty of bugling these past few days. Boys came home tonight all excited about two bulls fighting up a storm in the alfalfa field south of the house. Seems like things are a week or two ahead of the normal here.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back