Missouri 2013 Whitetail

Bigbuckkiller

Im headed to Missouri next year for my first whitetail hunt with my uncle.. I have never hunted whitetail and never hunted from a tree stand... Im really pumped he has a big buck crossing his property and i want him to kill it but a part of me hopes hes still there for me next year! But if anybody has any tips to help get my first whitetail on the ground.... Oh ps i will be hunting with my bow but if i have to i have the muzzleloader on stand by! Thanks!

Get a feeder, preferably one w/ a timer. Put up a high fence around your uncle's property. Start using game cams. Send some Come Er Deer to your uncle 3 days before the hunt and have him put it under your stand(s).
Kidding.
Shoot a lot! And practice from shooting at elevation = mimic the stand.
You need to control your scent BIG TIME, even elevated in a stand.
Get a grunt call and it can be good to try and rattle up a big buck.
Use some Tinks 69 on the soles of your boots for 'covering up' the walk in.
Stay in your stand.
Get good at being patient.

I assume you will be hunting during muzzle loader season which in Missouri starts in Mid December. At this time of the year the bucks in Missouri are wore down from the rut and will be looking for food. Depending on what part of the state you are hunting the food sources will be different, but hope for cold temps and find the food source and you will have success. If it get's real cold the deer will be up on there feet at all times of the day. Good luck, there are a lot of great bucks in Missouri!

Just saw this thread, what part of MO are you coming to. I can probably give you a few pointers, probably nothing your uncle wont already tell you but might be good to know ahead of time. The good thing about MO is we have a ton of deer about 1.4 million of em as of last survey done and we have a lot of big deer. It's really not an issue of "if" you see deer, more a long the lines of which one do you want to shoot or do you want to try to hold out for that big one. If you're coming in Dec then you can shoot 2 bucks w/your bow & one w/your muzzleloader, there's is a 2nd rifle doe only season in late Nov. too. Some counties, have a 4 point rule, some don't(mostly southern part doesn't) and you can shoot does until you can't afford to buy tags anymore. As far as hunting from a stand in Dec, it can get cold 10-20 degrees in the mornings usually warming up to 20-30s for mid day and then back down again. You might want to dress a little warmer than what you typically do just because you wont be moving around trying to find deer. Early Dec can be a little warmer though.

Last edited:
Im headed to Missouri next year for my first whitetail hunt with my uncle.. I have never hunted whitetail and never hunted from a tree stand... Im really pumped he has a big buck crossing his property and i want him to kill it but a part of me hopes hes still there for me next year! But if anybody has any tips to help get my first whitetail on the ground.... Oh ps i will be hunting with my bow but if i have to i have the muzzleloader on stand by! Thanks!
You better get a PHd in patients pretty quick if you are going to hunt from a tree stand.....O and by the way....if you dont have one please invest in a safety belt....the best one you can afford.....:cool:

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back