Caribou Gear

Mississippi Alligator Applications

Thanks for sharing that info. Alligator is a bucket list critter for me and this is a reminder to me that I need to start thinking about working through my list. Looking forward to seeing your pictures and hunting story for those Mississippi alligators!

I think I have 5 Georgia gator points. I'll wait until the 5 footer in the family pond gets to trophy size.

I think I have 5 Georgia gator points. I'll wait until the 5 footer in the family pond gets to trophy size.
You're in pretty good shape then.

I could draw my home region probably next year and wind up with a ten footer maybe. But I'm like you, I have a specific gator in mind. My problem is he's in one of the tougher to draw units and he's already trophy size

Alright - Lets see some pics, Virtute et Armis HT members.

Curious - what's the benefit to the eco to have alligators? Must release under 4' and over 7'? Are they considered a "varmint" type animal in excess or is it a type of big game species that needs to be maintained? Suppose this question is directed to any of you croc/alligator states.

Randy needs to widen his horizons and tug a gator onto a flatboat! Call it the, Wet Tracks edition. Give ole Troy a run for his money.

Since you asked. Here's one I took yesterday afternoon. Not big enough to hunt but he's picked a dangerous place to grow up.

To answer your questions, I think it's just a matter of having a strong enough population that we get to hunt them. They've been table fare a long time, they really seem to be doing as well population-wise as they've ever been in my lifetime, and I'd definitely say they're managed to be maintained as much as controlled. Certainly not varmint status in the eyes of our DNR considering the tag issuing system.

Attachments

• IMG_20220601_153845.jpg
    IMG_20220601_153845.jpg
    744.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Curious - what's the benefit to the eco to have alligators? Must release under 4' and over 7'? Are they considered a "varmint" type animal in excess or is it a type of big game species that needs to be maintained? Suppose this question is directed to any of you croc/alligator states.

Here's a little fella from last year. Had a chance at a 9-footer but had issues with the boat and at the time was holding out for a 12 footer I had spotted before the season. Ended up taking this one last minute from the bank. Nice little mid-week solo hunt.

The numbers here in Georgia are healthy enough to allow a limited harvest (48 inches and over). About 200-300 are legally taken each year. According to the local game warden, when gators start to over-populate, they end up in places where they cause problems. He said they end up with around 150-200 nuisance removals a year.

When I was in the Air Force, we actually had big 11-12 footer that got on the flightline and shut down operations for a short time. I'll have to dig for it, but I have a picture somewhere of it next to trailer full of bombs. Cool stuff.

IMG_1060.jpg

Randy needs to widen his horizons and tug a gator onto a flatboat! Call it the, Wet Tracks edition. Give ole Troy a run for his money.

In our state, if you draw, you're allowed to take 2 alligators, both of which must be over 4 feet in length, one of which can be over 7 feet. So a tag allows 2 gators to be taken. There is a specific number of tags issued each year for each region, based on the alligator population. Some areas have a higher human/gator interaction issue than other areas, so some more tags are issued in those areas.

Back