Missed Opportunities: Hunters and Environmentalists

I'm not so sure the majority of the two groups actually want those things.

I think you could look at the opposition and challenges that BHA deals with from both sides as somewhat indicative of the on-the-ground problems with realizing a symbiotic future. I'm not saying there's no progress to be made, but if you were looking for some data points, that might be a place to start.
BHA, hum the real challenge is balancing the majority of the memberships passion with the initiative of where the majority of the money comes from?

Well folks, here's an example. A non profit children in nature network reached out to me yesterday and I am interviewing for a position with them tomorrow as a community and partnerships liaison. And just now in preparing for this interview with this environmentalist organization, I noticed on their website, listing a benefit of nature play as forming the conservation leaders of the future, the accompanying picture was a young girl with her father, in the field, she wearing her Texas Youth Hunting program hunter orange cap and vest! Seems to be some unifying there!

And I'd sure be glad for anyone's prayers that this could be an opportunity to build just what you folks are discussing here!

Hunters are Environmentalists.

Hunters recognize mans role (insert creation or evolution; whatever works for you) is essential part of the environment including dominion (ok that's biblical) and dependence on the environment for sustenance of our body and soul.

Environmentalists see man in conflict with the environment and the impact our population growth and development have made.

I feel best strategy for unity is the John Dutton model of bridge building. Find 40ish Enviro-gal and be one with her! (ok that's biblical as well)

Hunting is basically a bloody business and I don't begrudge anyone who gets negatively emotional about it. I see so many hunters and fisherfolk who quite bluntly don't give a damn about the environment they're using and enjoying. But I'm sure I've yet to encounter a tree hugger who has left a makeshift shitter in the woods or beer cans thrown in the fire or fish guts at the boat launch. I will take their criticism of gruesome cruel hunting at face value and accept that it is basically well intended from people who usually try to truthfully live their creed. What bugs me most about many if not most of them is their insistence on plopping their eco-cool off the grid homes in the sticks where they have convinced themselves they are living in harmony with nature. Total phony BS! Only the ancient nomadic hunter gatherers lived in some semblance of harmony with nature. As an ethical hunter environmentalist I live in town where I belong and leave the natural environment to nature after she has been gracious enough to let me use it for a few days every year. Humans stopped being natural thousands of years ago.

One other label not mentioned in this thread yet is 'protectionist' or 'preservationist.' Those categories of people often march under the flag 'environmentalist,' but have a much more restrictive view of how land/animals should be treated.

Good point. I think non-hunting environmentalists as a whole tend to rally against a dominant human relationship over the natural world, and this can naturally predispose them to being against hunting, something they perceive as dominating nature. Which is why they need more exposure to ethical hunters.

Preservationists, like John Muir, are important IMO. They can also be short sighted, along with other factions of the environmental movement. For example, the notion that tree planting needs to be a primary method for combatting climate change. It definitely can be...but imagine how many grasslands are going to be planted with dense stands of trees. Oak savannah's and certain pine savannah's support unbelievable biodiversity and these ecosystems need constant 'tree removal' (disturbance).

Here is a great article from The Atlantic, detailing a new environmentalist who joined a group to help wildlife. She initially was dismayed her instructor hunted, but now she hunts, a cool story and great press.

My biggest worry for hunters is staying on good terms with public opinion, which will require reform periodically as the world changes. I think hunters and environmentalists have much in common. Different backgrounds, experiences, and understandings, along with political pressures, divide up what could be a really powerful force.

I work with IDNR on various projects through my work and I am seeing them prioritize more and more outreach aimed at getting people into hunting by extending outreach beyond the white male base that has sustained it for so long. The number of hunters is decreasing rapidly every year and as an effective wildlife management strategy, it is crucial to increase the number of hunters or other means for WL management will need to established (asap).

I guess this question is aimed at everyone here out of curiosity, do you think the overall hunting community will eventually learn to welcome more diversity within the community or do you think these initiatives will be met with backlash from a lot of hunters?....mostly speaking of hunters not in these forums, bc I've seen some really troubling groups.

Also, have you guys gone out of your way to help underrepresented people get in to the activity and if so, how? Why or why not?

Just look around at the sexist jokes, gay and lesbian jokes on here. Almost every thread has something.

Its a subtle reminder to "others" that they aren't welcome, or if they are welcome, its as a sex object, not an equal partner or peer.

I've taken some newbies out in the past and I will again, but I'm pretty selective about it and I only hunt for food, not trophies so my methods and goals are a little different.

Last edited:
Just look around at the sexist jokes, gay and lesbian jokes on here. Almost every thread has something.

Its a subtle reminder to "others" that they aren't welcome, or of they are welcome, its as a sex object, not an equal partner or peer.

I've taken some newbies out in the past and I will again, but I'm pretty selective about it and I only hunt for food, not trophies so my methods and goals are a little different.
Please share examples.

Look at the yoga pants jokes in the open carry thread.

There is also a meme calling a woman with short hair a lesbian.

Lots of little quips about transgender people using certain restrooms.

I’m sure there are other forums to discuss those topics. This is a public land hunting forum. Everytime a thread pops up you seem to find a way to route it to the topic of gay/lesbian/trans. Hunttalk is very inclusive and many of the people on here are advocates for taking other hunters out.

I’m sure there are other forums to discuss those topics. This is a public land hunting forum. Everytime a thread pops up you seem to find a way to route it to the topic of gay/lesbian/trans. Hunttalk is very inclusive and many of the people on here are advocates for taking other hunters out.
Find one place where I brought it up. Others always brought it up.

And no, allowing sexist and gay jokes is not welcoming to anyone except straight white men.

I don't see what this has to do with diversity in hunting, or really anything for that matter....

Weren't you a "newbie" once? How did you learn to hunt? Why are you so selective when helping others?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back