Misrepresentation

Don K

OK, so I'm on another popular hunting site and surfing around the forums. I go over to the tag classifieds section for the heck of it to see whats there. Upon arriving I click on a post and read about some tags this guy has for sale for a unit in Northern New Mexico. I click on the link that he provides for a PDF file and I start looking at the photos and reading about the private ranch hunt he has to go with. To my amazement there is a picture of my son and a friend of his with a bull that was taken 7 years ago on a completely different unit on a DIY hunt!!!

I was shocked to see this picture on a flyer.

What would you do?

Take a screenshot of his ad then post the screenshot, the PDF with your boy's bull, your pictures, and the outfitters name on every hunting forum. Email the forum moderator where it's posted and let him know. Then I'd email the outfitters with links to all your posts and let him know that your making a few calls to the outfitter and guide association (if there is one) and any other agency/authority in that state.

I left a post on the site and waiting for it to show up. The picture is of the two boys on a DIY youth Elk hunt and my son did not harvest that bull but we where hunting together and they are pictured together.. I sent the father a email and am waiting a reply. This bull was taken in unit 17 and the guy is selling a landowner ranch only tag in unit 51. (he is a hunt broker)

Fraudulent for sure and I'm waiting for reply's

NM has quite the problem with fraudulent landowner tag sales/ripoff scams. I would also make a call to the NM Game and Fish Dept. to at least put them on notice. The NM Attorney General's office also has a consumer fraud division hotline and loves to investigate this kind of activity.

Another reason to check references unless have direct prior experience with a guide/outfitter/landowner. Have your radar on when speak with references since may be a relative of the outfit you are checking out. Usually can tell by the answers if you ask some open-ended questions.

Happens a lot. I was at the Milwaukee sport show a decade ago and stopped by a booth advertising Alaskan hunts. Looked at some of the pictures and seen my buddy in one pic with the B&C Bou he shot on the hunt I was on with him. He actually worked for the outpost we hunted out of for a couple months. It just so happened My buddy was also at the sport show working at a dog trainer booth so I went and got him and showed him the pictures.... Let's just say things got real interesting!

I would definitely call him on it, and call in back up from the state wildlife agency. If you have a friend who is a lawyer, have him send the jerk a nastygram in your behalf. i don't know if you can get more recourse, besides getting the photo taken down, but it's still worthwhile, I think.

I would second mdunc8's suggestion to record image or screen shot of the thief and liars advertisement to preserve the evidence.

If you get no response from the "master" tag seller you can always reach out to his alleged pro staff sponsors. More than one shady outfitter has been blackballed by their industry sponsors for similar practices and misrepresentations. I believe this flyer also includes a photo of an elk from Kentucky or West Virginia. As an FYI, I understand that several of the major hunting websites are regularly "trolled" for pictures of poached animals and other illegal activities. I would also reach out to the moderator of this website's NM forum. Let me know if you need help reaching him.

Zach,

Yep that's the picture.

I have sent a message and have down loaded the PDF file of the brochure and have it on my computer. Have not heard from anyone yet but will be making some calls today on the phone.

Don, it's amazing how many Gila bulls get "killed" in northern New Mexico these days! I've seen several of the pictures in this flyer before and I seriously doubt that many, if any of them came from GMU 51. I would definitely start making some calls.

Well the "Master Hunt Broker" has three different email addresses and has not answered any of them. Along with that he has not returned any calls. I put some calls into others and am waiting to hear back.

You have all the people that do things the right way and advertise the right things. Then you have people like this.......

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back