Caribou Gear

Minnesota HuntTalkers- Planning a vacation and could use some recommendation

I lived in Duluth, Fargo and grew up in the brainerd lakes area before moving out to Spokane a few months ago. Like the above has said, the Duluth area is awesome, beautiful with a drive up the north shore for a day. Stop at gooseberry falls and I will vote Rustic Inn had better pies. But nisswa Minnesota is great, there's some "pretty good shopping" there (as the sign into town says). And main street ale has had amazing food! Expect it to be busy up there as the people from the cities come up.

As for around St. Cloud, not much there that I know, but places if there are some plans, you can get to most places within a few hours from there.

Enjoy Minnesota!

I am originally from Minnesota. I will second the recommendation for Taylor's Falls - very unique area worth visiting. My favorite Minnesota June activity is getting up at 4:30 AM and canoeing or kayaking. No one else is up yet. It's quiet, the fish are usually biting, and you can watch the sunrise over a glassy lake.

Well, my wife and I are not much for binge drinking, but we do enjoy what she calls "food adventures". We would prefer a locals favorite, "hole in the wall" over the tourist trap McMeal. We are looking for places that best represent what Minnesota is all about. I am sure my wife would enjoy the "artsy" stuff you mentioned especially if it is more Arts and Craft "Prairie Home Companion" and less head scratching modern art. The fishing sounds like fun. Is it possible to fish along the shore line on most of these lakes or would it be better to rent a canoe or two person kayak?
If you spend much time in the cities(Minneapolis/st. Paul) there is a new good hall getting rave reviews at the old schmidt's brewery. Not really a hole in the wall but not a tourist trap from what I hear. It's called keg and case. https://www.kegandcase.com/
If your I into sports at all a Saint Paul Saints game can be pretty entertaining, alot of action other than baseball going on. Or head up to Duluth there is alot of shops and things to do along canal park right off Superior.

If you’re in the park rapids area go to Nevis and hit up the iron horse bar and grill, great food and you can take your picture by the worlds largest Muskie statue ( I think). Then hit up Itaska state park and walk across the head waters of the Mississippi River.

You guys have been very helpful in giving me some great suggestions on things to see and places to eat in your fair state. Due to time constraints, we will be trying to see as much as we can in a short six and a half day period. Looking at spending two days around Taylor Falls, two days around Duluth and the North Shore, one day near my family's old homestead in Eagle Bend/Clarissa, and a day and a half in the Twin Cities. Does that sound "doable" or should I make adjustments and spend more time in other locations. Thanks again for all your help.

Just my opinion, but I’d maybe spend 1 day at Taylor’s Falls and 3 days in Duluth/North Shore but all in all very doable and I think you’ll have a great time.

Taylor's Falls is a perfect one day trip.

Plan accordingly for north shore travel - there is one highway N along the lakeshore (plus a few scenic detours), and it's very busy on weekends. Makes for slow travel.

St. Croix River is pretty cool and Taylors Falls is a neat spot. I like floating the northern part of the river, you can rent a canoe in Grantsburg or Danbury, which are right over the boarder from Minnesota in Wisconsin. They have shuttle services too (you can float sections that are a couple hours or all day). The smallmouth bass fishing is really good and a chance at hooking into a muskie, plus the St. Croix is one of the few National Wild and Scenic Rivers not in the west.

I want to thank all of you Minnesota HuntTalkers for helping me plan an amazing trip to Minnesota. My wife and I had a wonderful time and saw some beautiful country. We spent the first day exploring around Taylor Falls and then three days on the North Shore. We then drove west to spend a couple days looking at areas significant to our family history around the towns of Clarissa and Winnebago, before heading to the Twin Cities for the last two days of our trip. Here are some pictures of some of our trips highlights.
Gooseberry Falls
20190628_135801.jpg

Split Rock Lighthouse.20190628_125837.jpg

Canoeing in the BWCA
IMG_5412.JPG

Had an amazing dinner with HuntTalker TheNorthStar and his lovely wife at "In Bloom" in St. Paul. Looking forward to returning the favor when he comes back to Idaho in a couple years.
Resized952019063095195656.jpg

Last edited:
The pleasure was ours, my friend! I bet Gooseberry was nice on such a hot and muggy weekend. Glad you two had a great trip through the state.

Cheers!

Phill

There’s nothing to do in the Clarissa/Eagle bend area unless it’s hunting season. I suppose you could watch ‘em cut grass with a sickle bar and a ford tractor. If you wanna drive around go into Alexandria and go to the Runestone museum.

Back