Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Minnesota HuntTalkers- Planning a vacation and could use some recommendation

Sawtooth

Wife and I will be in your neck of the woods in the middle of June and was wondering if you could give us some suggestions of things to do and see while in Minnesota. I will be in the Twin Cities area as well as North West of St. Cloud (old family farm location). Will be in your fine state for about five to seven days. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Family farm was located between Clarissa and Eagle Bend. Great Grandfather moved the family west in 1910. I have heard a lot of stories about the place and I just want to add context to those stories.

Not knowing really what you’re into, I agree with BRoth. Bass and panfishing would be a great that time of year. I don’t know a whole lot the Eagle Bend area but not too far to the east there are some nice lakes like Sham and Alex and you’re fairly close to all the nice lakes around Alexandria as well.

As far as stuff to do in the twin cities, I’ve lived in Minneapolis for 4 years and I still have no clue what people who aren’t binge drinkers do for fun around here. I leave every weekend I’m free. There’s some nice places to eat and artsy stuff if you’re into that.

Well, my wife and I are not much for binge drinking, but we do enjoy what she calls "food adventures". We would prefer a locals favorite, "hole in the wall" over the tourist trap McMeal. We are looking for places that best represent what Minnesota is all about. I am sure my wife would enjoy the "artsy" stuff you mentioned especially if it is more Arts and Craft "Prairie Home Companion" and less head scratching modern art. The fishing sounds like fun. Is it possible to fish along the shore line on most of these lakes or would it be better to rent a canoe or two person kayak?

I too enjoy food adventures. What part of the twin cities are you staying in? There’s plenty of opportunity for food adventures.

Shore fishing can certainly be done even though it’s usually best a little bit earlier in the year. Some public accesses can actually have a lot of panfish on them. If you’re looking to rent a canoe you’d probably have to look around the Brainerd Lakes area for that, but that’s a beautiful part of the state and may be worth the drive to you.

Well, my wife and I are not much for binge drinking, but we do enjoy what she calls "food adventures". We would prefer a locals favorite, "hole in the wall" over the tourist trap McMeal. We are looking for places that best represent what Minnesota is all about. I am sure my wife would enjoy the "artsy" stuff you mentioned especially if it is more Arts and Craft "Prairie Home Companion" and less head scratching modern art. The fishing sounds like fun. Is it possible to fish along the shore line on most of these lakes or would it be better to rent a canoe or two person kayak?
Go to a meat raffle! It will be a small town hole in the wall bar but it will be a big crowd of locals. If you are wondering what a meat raffle is Andrew Zimmerman did a tv show on one.

Right now everything is up in the air. We don't have any set plans for the state other then a day or so near my families old homestead near Clarissa/Eagle Bend. I am open to recommendations for must see sites and places to eat or stay all over the state.

Go to a meat raffle! It will be a small town hole in the wall bar but it will be a big crowd of locals. If you are wondering what a meat raffle is Andrew Zimmerman did a tv show on one.
Nice call on the meat raffle, Gellar. A food adventure of the Minnesota kind.

Oh! Let me know the window you're going to be around the cities! We've got a few grad parties and one of my son's birthdays in June, but I'd love to meet up for dinner if possible!

Right now everything is up in the air. We don't have any set plans for the state other then a day or so near my families old homestead near Clarissa/Eagle Bend. I am open to recommendations for must see sites and places to eat or stay all over the state.
While you are in the Eagle Bend area, the Rose City Burger, at the Rose City Bar is pretty good. Small hole in the wall bar and grill.
Plenty of shore fishing opportunity near Osakis and Alexandria Area.

If you happen to be in the area in early May, run up the North Shore of Lake Superior and find a smelt fry. Betty's Pies in Two Harbors is almost worth the trip in itself. The North Shore Drive, from Duluth up to Pigeon River (or Thunder Bay if you bring your passport) is spectacular. Jay Cooke State Park, Gooseberry Falls, Split Rock Lighthouse, and any number of agate hunting spots along the way. If you do end up going all the way to Thunder Bay, don't miss Kakabeka Falls and Ouimet Canyon.

White Castle.

Diners, Drive ins and Dives has featured a bunch of places around there.

There's a good lefse place in Osakis.

Spend a day in the Stillwater area. Lots of funky stuff around, and the St Croix River is a nice place to hang out. It's a little more hipstery than it used to be, but still pretty cool.

The Minnesota Science Museum is worth a stop.

My wife is a rabid quilter, so we always have to hit Gruber's in Waite Park.

There are a lot of free or cheap places to go in the Twin Cities area. I found a website a while back about it, but lost it in a computer crash.

A little further afield, Itasca State Park, the Hjemkomst Center in Moorhead, the Iron Range, and the Minnesota River Valley.

The biggest Cabelas store used to be down in Owatonna. I'm sure there are bigger ones now.

Thanks for some great suggestions Scubohunter and B4U. Keep them coming, I am taking notes.

I would definitely encourage a trip up to the North Shore, there is a ton to see there. It isn't too far a drive NE from Clarissa up to the Nisswa area; which is kind of the epicenter of Minnesota "cabin country", lots of stuff to do in those towns and some cool spots to eat. There is a place up there calls Zorbaz, they are pretty big party bar, but have pretty great pizza. You can pull your boat right up to the dock.

Another place to check out is Taylor's Falls. They have some cool hiking trails, and you can run up there from the cities along the Saint Croix River valley; which is pretty cool.

Catch a Saint Paul Saints game. It is a farm league team that is part owned by Bill Murray (he does come to some games). It is a cool little stadium in lower town Saint Paul, there are some cool bars and restaurants in walking distance from the gate. If you are into the small town baseball thing, look up the Miesville Mudhens. It is a tiny town about 45 minutes south of Saint Paul with a town ball field, and a bar down the street called King's, they have about 100 different burgers, and have been voted best burger in MN multiple times. The town of Red Wing is just east of there too with a cool downtown and riverfront area a lot the Mississippi.

If you like craft beer, there is a ton of it all over, and for hole in the wall cool food joints Minneapolis is the place to go.

Wife and I will be in your neck of the woods in the middle of June and was wondering if you could give us some suggestions of things to do and see while in Minnesota. I will be in the Twin Cities area as well as North West of St. Cloud (old family farm location). Will be in your fine state for about five to seven days. Thanks in advance.
Minnesota is a bigger State, I grew up in International Falls and My wife is from the SW Minnesota Iowa Border area which is about an 8 hour drive. Minnesota also has a broad range in topography. Your family homestead is situated on the farming and hardwoods areas. A little North is the Walker area which has some nice resorts and a little more wooded topography. It kind of depends on how much driving you want to do during your visit. I live North of the cities now outside of Taylors Falls and my wife and I both work in the metro area. Feel free to PM me as well if you want to discuss specifics on how you would like to sped your time here in the land of 10,000 lakes

Inspiration Peak, and Peak Supper Club is not far from Eagle Bend. Good food and drink, and a neat view.

Another one for the north shore. Lots of great hiking up that way. As for the Cities, as others have said there's a ton of great foodie places to be found. Just really depends on what you're in to.

Fish walleyes/smallmouth/pike out of the Ely area, hike the North Shore out of Silver Bay area, lots of "foodie" places in the Twin Cities - if you PM me a budget range I can suggest a few great choices (Pig Eat My Pizza and Bachelor Farmer are two places to start with), catch a MN Twins game (great stadium experience).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back