Midwest storm damage

Gellar

Storms rolled through and left some impressive damage yesterday. We got much needed rain and some lightning, but there was no damage in our area. My brother in Des Moines is still without power and some areas are looking at being without for 3 days. My dad took this picture this morning west of Cedar Rapids.

Attachments

• 1597161977028.png
    1597161977028.png
    193.5 KB · Views: 72
60 mph would have been nice. We are hearing 99 mph from a number of towns which makes me think their wind-o-meters got pegged that max.

It sucks here. No power, one generator I'm moving between 3 freezers and a fridge., roof holes, chimney wonko, busted window and siding, multiple horse fence failures, but no one hurt. 22 hrs in, I've made a dent. Thank your favorite deity for Stihl and John Deere.

Attachments

• 20200810_114148.jpg
    20200810_114148.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200810_114229.jpg
    20200810_114229.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
Got our power back not quite 24 hours after it went out. Wife took care of things with me here in Alaska. Moved all the food to the chest freezer until my dad got her a generator to run it. All good now and sounds like only one big limb down. VERY lucky compared to the rest of the area.

Reports from my folks are much the same. Awning on the front porch was lifted, trees down, no power for the second night in a row, and the quail hutch was smashed to bits so their bird dog is having fun trying to wrangle em. Take care guys.

Thankful to get power back quickly. I filed my first property insurance claim this AM, then ran my electric chainsaw for 10 hours in my yard and my two neighbors' yards. Killer workout! A friend from church came over with a gas saw and also cut for 3 hours + loaded the first of maybe 6 trips with my pickup and utility trailer to haul off loads of branches starting tomorrow. Between arborist fees to take out suspended branches plus my insurance deductible I'm looking at about $7-8k out of pocket. Our family is among the lucky ones - we have a livable house and drivable cars. Lots of coworkers, friends, and acquaintances temporarily homeless, their vehicle was destroyed, or the road they live on is blocked by downed trees and debris.

Same...more chainsaw work today. 60mph would have been a nice change of pace!! Still no power, probably out a couple more days at least. Most of our neighborhood looks the same, but everyone is safe. Good luck all w the cleanup!

20200810_142635.jpg

Thankful to get power back quickly. I filed my first property insurance claim this AM, then ran my electric chainsaw for 10 hours in my yard and my two neighbors' yards. Killer workout! A friend from church came over with a gas saw and also cut for 3 hours + loaded the first of maybe 6 trips with my pickup and utility trailer to haul off loads of branches starting tomorrow. Between arborist fees to take out suspended branches plus my insurance deductible I'm looking at about $7-8k out of pocket. Our family is among the lucky ones - we have a livable house and drivable cars. Lots of coworkers, friends, and acquaintances temporarily homeless, their vehicle was destroyed, or the road they live on is blocked by downed trees and debris.
Glad the power is on again and you and your family are safe. Sorry to hear about the damage to your trees and landscaping.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back