Midwest Public Land

FlatlanderAZ

There are a number of Midwest folks who hang around these forums. I am hoping someone can give me an idea of what public land opportunities might exist in the Omaha area. I am wondering if between the adjacent states and Nebraska is there enough public ground to be do-able for a DIY resident? Their website seem to say 1,000,000 acres, which doesn’t sound like a heck of a lot for the size of the state.

If not, how tough is it to get permission or lease for waterfowl, deer and turkey for residents? I’ve never lived anywhere but the west, so I am not too familiar with the private access game.

It’s not my corner of Iowa but, here is a link to all public ground in Iowa open to hunting.

Missouri has a very good public land system and there are also federal wildlife refuges open to hunting.

Iowa, the Usfws and army corps are actively buying land along the Missouri River that has been impacted by flooding and is no longer farmable. As they obtain land it becomes open to hunting.

There is good deer and Turkey hunting on public land on the Iowa side. Nonresident deer might take a few points to draw.

What are you looking to hunt?

not to sound trivial but 1,000,000 acres does not sound like a lot? Its plenty no matter the size of the state

You can hunt just about anything that has a season on ia public lands and the crowding is minimal. One reason for this are the strict rules for NR leasing, which tends to greatly reduce hunt clubs, remote landowners, and outfitters from leasing everything up, as is the case in most other states. Most residents can get access to hunt private fairly easily, which reduced the number of residents choosing public. One exception, maybe: Upland bird hunting is having a bit of a renaissance, so limited public gets completely pounded, and good private ground is hard to get access to.

If you’re leasing you are wasting your money IMO, as you can knock on doors, build your social contacts, be active in your community, and you’ll eventually build a network of hunting access and friends.

There are a number of Midwest folks who hang around these forums. I am hoping someone can give me an idea of what public land opportunities might exist in the Omaha area. I am wondering if between the adjacent states and Nebraska is there enough public ground to be do-able for a DIY resident? Their website seem to say 1,000,000 acres, which doesn’t sound like a heck of a lot for the size of the state.

If not, how tough is it to get permission or lease for waterfowl, deer and turkey for residents? I’ve never lived anywhere but the west, so I am not too familiar with the private access game.
Lifetime Nebraska resident here. Nebraska is in the bottom five for public land (around 3% is public), and the majority of the public land we do have is in the western half of the state while most of the human population resides in the eastern half of the state. Private access on the eastern half isn't easy to come by, but it is possible; you will just need to knock on a lot of doors, and be comfortable with being told "No".

Rifle season for deer is in the middle of November, with the majority of the tags OTC for both residents and non-residents, so public gets hit pretty hard. Archery and muzzleloader seasons generally have a lot less pressure.

Last edited:
not to sound trivial but 1,000,000 acres does not sound like a lot? Its plenty no matter the size of the state
I know that’s a big number but compared to AZ which has 28 million acres I am just not sure how that’s going to feel when people hit the field.

There is good deer and Turkey hunting on public land on the Iowa side. Nonresident deer might take a few points to draw.

What are you looking to hunt?
I was most curious about deer, turkey and waterfowl. I was actually looking at resident opportunities not nonresident.

You can hunt just about anything that has a season on ia public lands and the crowding is minimal. One reason for this are the strict rules for NR leasing, which tends to greatly reduce hunt clubs, remote landowners, and outfitters from leasing everything up, as is the case in most other states. Most residents can get access to hunt private fairly easily, which reduced the number of residents choosing public. One exception, maybe: Upland bird hunting is having a bit of a renaissance, so limited public gets completely pounded, and good private ground is hard to get access to.

If you’re leasing you are wasting your money IMO, as you can knock on doors, build your social contacts, be active in your community, and you’ll eventually build a network of hunting access and friends.
I grew up in that area on the Iowa side. Not familiar with the NE side, but as with any bigger city you’ll likely have to travel a little ways to get away from pressure and find more public opportunities. I would disagree that pressure is low depending on what you’re hunting. during the peak archery whitetail season the public parking lots seem to be full. just depends on what you are hunting and when. early in the archery season and the muzzleloader seasons are great times to be out with very little pressure. shotgun deer season is a rodeo, but is a fun deer camp type hunt with family and friends. good private access on the iowa side is very difficult without having long term relationships built.

I grew up in that area on the Iowa side. Not familiar with the NE side, but as with any bigger city you’ll likely have to travel a little ways to get away from pressure and find more public opportunities. I would disagree that pressure is low depending on what you’re hunting. during the peak archery whitetail season the public parking lots seem to be full. just depends on what you are hunting and when. early in the archery season and the muzzleloader seasons are great times to be out with very little pressure. shotgun deer season is a rodeo, but is a fun deer camp type hunt with family and friends. good private access on the iowa side is very difficult without having long term relationships built.
How long ago was this? I started hunting IA in 2002 and access has become easier over time, and crowding has dipped. Boomers are hanging it up in droves, creating ample new opportunities.

Not necessarily the area you are talking about, but Ohio is darn near impossible to get private land access to deer hunt unless you are very, very close friends or family with someone. Even then, far from guaranteed. Usually the farmers that will allow access allow a lot. And they don't care if they are in or out of season and you used a bazooka to hunt with. They just want the deer dead. There are some good public land spots, and some good nature conservancy access (requires a permit) if you are willing to put in some miles. You are likely to go a few days and maybe not even see a deer, but if you see a buck he will be a good one. PM me if you are ever interested in something this far east. I can give some pointers for the conservancy access. I don't want to give out the info over an open forum as access permits are very limited.

How long ago was this? I started hunting IA in 2002 and access has become easier over time, and crowding has dipped. Boomers are hanging it up in droves, creating ample new opportunities.
I still hunt there, but primarily on private. Ive seen the exact opposite. Archery hunting especially has gained in popularity exponentially? Do you hunt western iowa?

I have a cousin in western Iowa that claims even turkey hunting on public land is a shitshow. Guess it's all about perception.

I have a cousin in western Iowa that claims even turkey hunting on public land is a shitshow. Guess it's all about perception.
Perspective adds a lot IMO/E. "Crowded" public lands in many western states are relatively empty compared to what I've experienced in IN. There is also a huge difference in visibility. I can spot hunters from miles away on many western hunts, but rarely can see more than a 100yds where I hunt public here in IN. YMMV...

Not familiar with the Omaha area, but I look for restricted weapons areas or “lesser known” pieces of public. I hunt a ton of suburban spots that are archery only, which gets me away from small game folks. There are also a number of WPA that allow hunting and are mostly void of deer hunters. Mostly. It’s a pretty rare day that I’m the only one on a piece of property. Once you come to terms with seeing other people, having them walk through your spot, etc things get a whole lot easier!

I still hunt there, but primarily on private. Ive seen the exact opposite. Archery hunting especially has gained in popularity exponentially? Do you hunt western iowa?

This is what I have seen too. The popular deer hunting areas especially have lots of people starting late October through about the middle of November, even up to Thanksgiving. Pheasant hunting on public last fall was a zoo. 5 years ago it was relatively unpressured, but has continually increased since then. Some spring turkey hunting public can be crowded, but there are places to get away from the crowd.

I think you could do really good for waterfowl if you lived up there and had time to scout around and get permission to hunt fields. It’s been a loooong time since I lived just north of Omaha so things may have changed. I did have a few stellar hunts on public land when I had the free time between class and wrestling practice. PM me if you have any questions about waterfowl, although I’m not sure how useful I’ll be.

Deer hunting public land in NE might be a grind tho. I’d really try to get on private land, even if it’s a long ways from Omaha. Making friends with a rancher is probably the best way to kill a big deer in NE.

This is what I have seen too. The popular deer hunting areas especially have lots of people starting late October through about the middle of November, even up to Thanksgiving. Pheasant hunting on public last fall was a zoo. 5 years ago it was relatively unpressured, but has continually increased since then. Some spring turkey hunting public can be crowded, but there are places to get away from the crowd.
The amount of pressure on public land in Iowa change dramatically last year with the Covid shut downs. Normally you would’ve been able to find relative quiet Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday and most of Friday but last year it was busy every single day. This year is looking like it is going to be similar to last year for the amount of people on public land. It is not just hunters. There are birdwatchers dog walkers and everybody else using the lands too. Will this be the new normal? I hope not, but I fear it may be.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back