Middle Fork Sheep

coopaloop

Hey fellas, a buddy of mine drew a Middle Fork sheep permit here in Idaho. I told him I would ask for any help you guys might be able to provide. I've hunted all my life but never for sheep. I know good glass and steep country, but little else. If anyone has hunted in there before I would truly appreciate some advice. He's in scouting right now and I will be going in with him at the end of Sept. Thanks in advance.

- Coop

Coop, I'm going up to 27-2 next week as a matter of fact to Scout for sheep for a buddy of mine that drew in there. Thats the only unit I know about. I'll have some Pictures and stories when I get back.

Good luck on your buddies hunt !!!! Middlefork has several Units. Which one ?!?!

There is probably as much, if not more knowledge about sheep hunting in that unit on this website than any other... Good luck!! Here's a taste of what you're in for:
LastDay-ThePackOut8.jpg

Sorry, thought I put that in there.... 27-1. We're looking at Marble crk and Cub crk. Thanks for the help guys. I floated it earlier this summer and he's been in scouting for a week already but we really could use some help.

I've never even set foot in 27-1, but I've spent some time gazing across the Middle Fork from the East side (27-2). I saw sheep over there. I saw elk over there. I saw some people being life flighted out. Best of luck.

I worked in Marble Creek last year. I glassed for sheep for a few hours, didnt see any. I heard there are some sheep on Pungo Mountain.

The trail up Marble is good for about 5-6 miles then turns to shit above trail creek. If you're riding in on horses theres one bad spot where the trail swings up above a narrow spot, its tight if your horse packs are very big.

Heres a few photos I took while up Marble Creek.

Looking back toward the middle fork from the narrow spot I mentioned:

IMG_2590.JPG

Mitchell Ranch, which is about 3 miles up Marble.

IMG_2597.JPG

Pungo mountain, which I heard has sheep on it frequently:

IMG_2602.JPG

This is the mouth of trail creek, I glassed it and Birch creek for a few hours and didnt see any sheep. I also glassed Pungo and didnt see any sheep on it either.

IMG_2582.JPG

If I were to hunt that country for sheep I'd look around Mahoney LO, I talked to a guy that mans the little creek guard station and he said in the years he's worked there he's seen sheep on it pretty consistantly and actually saw a hunter kill a good ram up there.

Heres a look at Mahoney and Norton peak from Little Loon.

173.JPG

Good luck...its big country and I glassed as much as I could while working in there and I never saw a sheep. I did see some infrequent sign here and there. I'd try to keep a positive attitude and find places where I could glass as much country as possible. Its tough country and the success rates reflect that.

Pictures look good. Yeah, that land does look a lot different than 27-2.

Thanks guys. Buzz, thanks for the info and pictures. They're great. We'll give 'er hell.

I drew a tag up in 27-2 and I am getting stoked to get up there for a few weeks. I wish these sleepless nights would speed up.....

Back