Middle Fork - Airstrips?

You can't jetboat on the Middle Fork of the Salmon. Float boats only. You can float down from Boundary Creek, Indian Creek, Thomas Creek, and the Flying B.

If you are Jet Boating, then you are on the Main Salmon River, leaving from either Vinegar Creek on the West Side or Corn Creek on the East (upper) side.

If you come in by boat, the trick is to make the first pull up out of the Canyon and get on top and away from the crowds. Make sure you use a map and don't hike up out of that canyon to a road!!! Know where you are going....

BinBandB4:
Thanks for the info.. I think we will be flying into Cold Meadows in 20a, or Cabin Creek in 26. We will work our xss's off and have a great time.
Thanks,
Carl

Let me keep this up! 1001 questions? Are there any of you hunters on this site going to unit 20a or 26?

If so, is it stupid to fly in? Or should a person be more versatile from the outside looking in? Sorry about all the questions, but this helps sometimes think of things you normally don't think about.

Thanks,

Don't dismiss the jetboat idea. It gives you 85 miles of access points. You just have to figure out where. Guys at Shepp kill bulls every year, and they go in via boat.

Just look at a map and make sure you aren't hiking up to some road or airstrip.

There are some great trails that could get you up pretty easily from the river (Jim Moore Cabin) and allow you some country. Just study a map or two and you'll be fine.

reebok,

I have been researching the Soldier Bar fly in also. I was going last year, but had to cancel due to a torn ACL. I have had my ACL replaced and am working to get back to where I was before.

I believe MaCall Aviation has a 150lb weight limitation, which is a consideration if you go with a base camp. They also have a meat hauling service. I was thinking of going in there for deer. I haven't heard very many good reports about the elk in there. I have also heard that during deer season you can expect between 8-12 other camps and hunters coming and going the entire time you are there. If I learn or hear more I will certainly keep you informed.

Thanks for the thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stilllearnin
Back