First Time Elk Hunter Pulled For New Mexico's UNIT 52

worknhunt

Determined newbie here (to the group and to elk hunting). So I got pulled for Unit 52 Elk tag for the first couple weeks of September (bow only) and am trying to make as much of a plan as possible before my outing. I grew up hunting whitetail in the pines of GA, always dreaming of getting to go on a elk hunt one day, and I believe I finally am getting my chance. I've been reading up on their behaviors, made a couple bugle calls, and think i got a decent foundation to get my feet wet and hopefully get some eyes on some elk. Now I am turning to the most stand-up community for the type of details that only come with experience. Reaching out to the group to see if anyone has any helpful hints, learning, or suggestions about Unit 52. Not here trying to pry "honeyholes" out of anyone, just something to get me started off on the right foot to maybe save me a wasted year of running around the Unit. Things like good access points from the road, suggested trails, good base camp spots, things to bring specific to this Unit, etc. I am in good shape and am not shy of going deep as needed, but like I said just any tips to help guide me in the right direction so I can get off on the right foot and hopefully bag me some meat would be greatly appreciated. Would love to show up to my best buddies wedding on Sept 12th with an Elk backstrap to share with the crew! Thanks in advance!

I'm going to be a bit of a Debbie downer here... Elk hunting is difficult, and bow hunting is 50x more difficult than rifle. It's not uncommon for five season to go past without harvesting an elk with a bow, so be prepared for disappointment come fall.

Also, welcome to ht.

My advice: Good on you for trying. Prepare mentally and physically for a tough test. Embrace the suck and know that whenever you get back home, regardless of what you thought in the moment, you are going to wish you had stayed longer, tried harder and long to get back to the elk woods. Do not get married to a spot on a map. Have a number of spots that interest you based on Google Earth research and stay mobile. Trust your instincts. If you don’t find fresh elk sign, move. If you stay persistent with the wind in your face, it is possible you will get into elk. Killing one on your first trip is highly unlikely (refer to statistics) so set your expectations on enjoying the entire adventure. And be sure to share the story when you get back.

Check out Elk 101’s university of Elk Hunting that will give a good background. Have a plan for each day. You don’t want to waste time because you didn’t plan. Watch Randy’s video on E-Scouting and michaels early season plan. It will be harder and more discouraging than you are imagining be ready for that.

Ive heard the NW side of the unit, do lots of E scouting.
If your dedicated youll skip that wedding as statistically there is a better chance they will be divorced than you have of bringing home elk, also the later in the season the better the rut action will be.
Wish ya luck

Welcome to Hunt Talk, plenty of general information here if you use the search bar. Also look at the suggested articles and videos.
My advise is know your physical limitations. Hiking in 5 miles is one thing. Packing out an elk 5 miles by yourself is a whole different story, if you are able to kill one. Have a plan and a good pack.
BTW, there shouldn’t be any wasted time in the woods, successful or not. The elk have taught me plenty of lessons that I hate to admit. Swirling wind, downed timber and creeks they refused to cross, the cow I didn’t see, refusing to leave their cows, knowing exactly the bush I called from 20 minutes earlier that I should have moved from. It’s a long list.

I learned the hard way last year that a cow call is more effective than bugle some time. It is easier but also had a hunt early rut and late rut and bulls would respond to a locator but weren't aggressive. I had better luck with cow call but still struck out with a bow. But I had a blast on both hunts!

I have not hunted it. There are plenty of elk there though. A newbie and out of state to boot you could end up burning the tag on a first time DIY hunt. I would hire a guide to help you figure it all out. If you lived here close by you could take the time to go there and learn the game. It is very difficult to get drawn for a decent NM elk tag. It could be years before you draw another tag here. In the grand scheme of things, an outfitter just isn't that expensive compared to all of the gear you will need to buy and the money, time spent on scouting before you hunt. The country down here is vast and the places where elk hang out are vast. Congrats on your draw. Hope you can make the most of it.

I have not hunted it. There are plenty of elk there though. A newbie and out of state to boot you could end up burning the tag on a first time DIY hunt. I would hire a guide to help you figure it all out. If you lived here close by you could take the time to go there and learn the game. It is very difficult to get drawn for a decent NM elk tag. It could be years before you draw another tag here. In the grand scheme of things, an outfitter just isn't that expensive compared to all of the gear you will need to buy and the money, time spent on scouting before you hunt. The country down here is vast and the places where elk hang out are vast. Congrats on your draw. Hope you can make the most of it.
Not many times people recommend guides on HT, but this is really good advice IMHO. Not that a guide will guarantee success, but it will help greatly with avoiding tag soup

My wife was going to buy me a guided hunt up by Chama this year but I drew a great tag down here in the Gila for this season. I only live an hour and a half from where I will hunt and I have all of the gear. And, I know the area. I drew 1st rifle this time around. I really like bowhunting, but everything needs to come together under sometimes less than ideal conditions. The best of the best (and the luckiest) are the 30% that stick an elk up there in 52 and most of those I would bet are guided hunts.

Ive heard the NW side of the unit, do lots of E scouting.
If your dedicated youll skip that wedding as statistically there is a better chance they will be divorced than you have of bringing home elk, also the later in the season the better the rut action will be.
Wish ya luck
The NW of the unit is wilderness. The problem down here is water. The springs and streams must run all year or there won't be any elk in the area. Humping out an elk by yourself in country that would make a billy goat puke is at the very least a daunting task. Also, your wilderness camp is on your back. The homies that hunt wilderness here usually go three in a group. That way they can offload the weight and relay out the meat. All camprounds in the NFs in New Mexico are closed. They were supposed to open 1st July but that date isn't looking too good right now. Check the Carson NF website for campsites and road access.

My wife was going to buy me a guided hunt up by Chama this year but I drew a great tag down here in the Gila for this season. I only live an hour and a half from where I will hunt and I have all of the gear. And, I know the area. I drew 1st rifle this time around. I really like bowhunting, but everything needs to come together under sometimes less than ideal conditions. The best of the best (and the luckiest) are the 30% that stick an elk up there in 52 and most of those I would bet are guided hunts.
Which 16 unit are u gonna be in for first rifle. I'll be in 16a for fiance first ever hunt. Put her in the draw for first time ever and drew first rifle

Determined newbie here (to the group and to elk hunting). So I got pulled for Unit 52 Elk tag for the first couple weeks of September (bow only) and am trying to make as much of a plan as possible before my outing. I grew up hunting whitetail in the pines of GA, always dreaming of getting to go on a elk hunt one day, and I believe I finally am getting my chance. I've been reading up on their behaviors, made a couple bugle calls, and think i got a decent foundation to get my feet wet and hopefully get some eyes on some elk. Now I am turning to the most stand-up community for the type of details that only come with experience. Reaching out to the group to see if anyone has any helpful hints, learning, or suggestions about Unit 52. Not here trying to pry "honeyholes" out of anyone, just something to get me started off on the right foot to maybe save me a wasted year of running around the Unit. Things like good access points from the road, suggested trails, good base camp spots, things to bring specific to this Unit, etc. I am in good shape and am not shy of going deep as needed, but like I said just any tips to help guide me in the right direction so I can get off on the right foot and hopefully bag me some meat would be greatly appreciated. Would love to show up to my best buddies wedding on Sept 12th with an Elk backstrap to share with the crew! Thanks in advance!
Alot of people go on the cruces basin up there. I learned to elk hunt in that unit when I first moved to NM. Elk will most likely.be silent for 1st archery over there. If your not gonna stay for the whole hunt plan on the 2nd part of the hunt. Remember u can kill a cow also so u dont go home empty handed unless your horn hunting

Which 16 unit are u gonna be in for first rifle. I'll be in 16a for fiance first ever hunt. Put her in the draw for first time ever and drew first rifle
I generally don't divulge which hunt I am on for personal reasons. The sweet 16s are a rifle hunter's dream.You gotta luv huntin the Gila!

How was your experience?

In my profession we refer to people like that grasshoppers. They come, they eat and they leave. Rural EMS has a very high turnover rate. They get some experience and some knowledge of the industry and they leave for the big city for the same pay but more action and leave us rural guys in a tight spot.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back