Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Michigans wolf advisory committee meeting yetersay

I apologize about the sound, you gotta turn it up. Pretty damning public comment by former mdnr biologist on Michigan's motives.

Glad he spoke up and said something! Public deserves to know.

I moved to the UP in the fall of 1995. There were deer every place you looked in Marquette and Alger county. Then the bad winters of 1995-96 and 1996-97 hit. The herd was absolutely decimated. The numbers starting to come back slowly just when the wolf numbers started to rapidly increase. A few more harsh winters in the 2000's and the deer numbers have never came back. The numbers of beavers dropped too as wolves love to kill them. A friend even found a partially eaten bear that was dug out of its den by wolves one winter.
However, it's not all the wolves fault. Logging practices changed in the early 2000's. Much less clear cutting and more select cutting. The result was poorer habitat. The cedar swamps that formerly wintered deer are browsed out and so are the wintering areas along lake superior.
The wolves need to be controlled, but the number of tags need to be controlled as well. The MI DNR has done an absolutely terrible job adjusting to changes on the ground.

Last edited:
I moved to the UP in the fall of 1995. There were deer every place you looked in Marquette and Alger county. Then the bad winters of 1995-96 and 1996-97 hit. The herd was absolutely decimated. The numbers starting to come back slowly just when the wolf numbers started to rapidly increase. A few more harsh winters in the 2000's and the deer numbers have never came back. The numbers of beavers dropped too as wolves love to kill them. I even found a partially eaten bear that was dug out of its den by wolves one winter.
However, it's not all the wolves fault. Logging practices changed in the early 2000's. Much less clear cutting and more select cutting. The result was poorer habitat. The cedar swamps that formerly wintered deer are browsed out and so are the wintering areas along lake superior.
The wolves need to be controlled, but the number of tags need to be controlled as well. The MI DNR has done an absolutely terrible job adjusting to changes on the ground.
My brother just came to me and asked to go in on buying some hunting land in the UP. My reply to him was I don’t want land in an area where the wolves out number the people.

Hopefully Michigan can clean up the issue of wolves but I’m doubtful with how the state is run as a whole.

best of luck!

My brother just came to me and asked to go in on buying some hunting land in the UP. My reply to him was I don’t want land in an area where the wolves out number the people.

Hopefully Michigan can clean up the issue of wolves but I’m doubtful with how the state is run as a whole.

best of luck!
I would not buy a camp in the UP just for hunting deer for certain.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back