Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Michigan see's increase in deer hunting licenses compared to last year

homers

Michigan DNR sees increase in hunting amid pandemic​

So far, the DNR has issued 751,310 deer hunting licenses, compared to 584,802 licenses issued in 2019

Michigan DNR indicates that overall participation in deer hunting is up 26.97% over the same time as last year, and overall participation in hunting is up 121.61%

And these aren't end of year numbers yet, so the increase will be larger than currently reported.

This is really good news. We need stronger families in the country and what better way to build the family than a long weekend in the deer woods. I'll take several non-hunting kids and dads to my 80 acres for a cross bow weekend. Most don't stick with hunting but a few do. Nothing is more exciting than helping a kid or teenager plan, and execute a successful doe hunt! You would think it was a 200" Iowa monster. Get the non-hunting public hunting and you'll see a huge change for the positive in our country - the outdoors, conservation and organic meat are a few topics most of us agree on wether Red or Blue - hunting builds bridges!

To be honest I have mixed feelings on this. Michigan has made some big changes in its deer management and I’m not convinced it’s the right path. Combine that with 25% more people and it will be interesting to see the results in a few years. I’m probably just in a sour mood because of the public land idiots. I’ve had 3 stands stolen since last fall and one camera. There a people everywhere already. I like having more people in the sport and it’s a good thing, but you can have too much of a good thing.

Wow! That's a huge increase! I'll be really curious to see what it looks like in other states, too. My guess is that Covid will convince former hunters who've been ambivalent lately, to pick up a license, but that it won't create a ton of new hunters. I'd expect then to see the biggest increases in states with larger populations and really strong hunting culture, like Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, etc.

NR waterfowl license sales so far in North Dakota are double what they sold last year. Locally, some people are actually setting up their campers on the residential streets in town because all the campgrounds are full. Haven’t seen it this crazy since the height of the oil boom. Insane numbers of bird hunters right now.

Perhaps families that had to delay "summer" vacations due to travel restrictions and job situations have decided that the money and vacation days from work not spent then should go towards a fall vacation, including rifles and fishing gear.

Overall this is a good thing. Only a healthy interest in hunting can sustain it for the long run. If there is any silver lining in this whole COVID disaster, it’s the expanded interest in hunting and fishing that people have embraced.

Back