Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Mice and wall tents

SteveE

Looking for advice on dealing with mice when living out of a wall tent.

Due to weight we are sleeping on the ground in a wall tent. We will use a tarp for a floor.

Any good ideas on how to keep the mice from chewing up sleeping bags, boots, and packs in the middle of the night?

The area is infested with mice.

Thanks

Probably not a solution to your problem but...

There are few things in life more fun than spotlighting mice around camp at night and blasting them with handguns loaded with shot.

For your situation maybe bring in or rig some kind of repeating "colony" trap. There are a bunch of Youtube videos on how to build these out of buckets. Maybe make one in the field.

Mouse traps work well. A .40 S&W is more fun, but might disturb your hunting partners if they are asleep.

Had luck with a few moth balls scattered around the outside of the wall tent. It kept black bears and rodents away while our camps were set up all summer and fall in western Colorado's high country.

El, if your willing to use moth balls try the bounce dryer sheets, I couldn't belive how well they worked. We cut them up into smaller piece and put them around edges and mice can't stand them
C

Take a kid to camp with you and make it their job to catch the mice. kids belong in elk camp even before they are old enough to carry a rifle and hunt.

Look up fresh cab I think its called. I used spearmint oil on some gear i had to store in a guys shed out west and they never touched it, but it is potent so be careful where you put it, may stink up all your gear close to it.

The bucket trap works good. Make sure to dump the dead ones. If you don't, the new additions will climb on the dead ones and keep you awake scratching on the side of the bucket. Also a canvas tarp is better for the floor. Until the mouse numbers go down, they will make a lot of noise running across the poly tarp. I could never sleep through that!

There's nothing like bedding down in your tent, only to listen to what sounds like a 2 lb. mouse foraging through your tomorrow's meals, getting first dibs on the goodies!
Not a wall tent content, but I remember a time when some dome tent campers pitched their tent in the campground and got a surprise when they went to bed. As they were disrobing, etc., they suddenly became aware that the entire floor of their tent was MOVING. There must have been 50 mice scurrying around under the tent floor, leaving moving furrows of nylon behind them. One or two is enough, but to see the entire floor alive was more than they could bear. I think they slept in their car.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back